Portable power trailer, bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

LRB

Good evening
I generally consider myself profecient on grounding and bonding, however a generator van has me scratching my head. Our farm co-op has a 45 ft semi van with 55 KW Cat Gen Set which they tow 100 mile to rail head (remote location) for transfering Fertilizer (Feb-July). This meets the criteria for 250.34 (B).

Gen is wired 480 Y 3 phase. (480 N stops at gen disconnect)

Gen T0 is bonded to sheet metal can for gen jumpers and gen disconnect. Metal can is bolted to gen frame. Gen set frame is bolted to trailer frame. I would like to run a 4 AWG bonding jumper from T0 to trailer frame. (Gen leads are 2/0), Disconnect is 150 amp shunt trip breaker, OEM. What is this bond called (sized per 250.66). What is this bond called, we don't have GE, the trailer frame is the "ground", there fore we can not call it a GEC.

We are adding a 45 KVA 480-208 SDS for lighting 120 recp and welding recp. Again I will bond the XO to the trailer frame. I will also need an EGC running from the 208 panel to the frame of the 45 KVA tranny, the 480 panel and back to the GEN frame. Can this EGC also serve as my bonding jumper from tranny XO to gen frame (bonding jumper from XO to gen fram will be continious).

Final question, Co-op manager has expressed concern that trailer frame could develop voltage potential to earth. At this time of year it would be impossible to set (2) ground rods., Also the rail siding belongs to rail road.

Thank all - LRB

Sahib

Final question, Co-op manager has expressed concern that trailer frame could develop voltage potential to earth. At this time of year it would be impossible to set (2) ground rods., Also the rail siding belongs to rail road.

Thank all - LRB
Is it possible to place a metal screen/plate on the ground around the trailer frame and connected to the frame so that the trailer frame could not develop voltage potential to earth?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Gen T0 is bonded to sheet metal can for gen jumpers and gen disconnect. Metal can is bolted to gen frame. Gen set frame is bolted to trailer frame. I would like to run a 4 AWG bonding jumper from T0 to trailer frame. (Gen leads are 2/0), Disconnect is 150 amp shunt trip breaker, OEM. What is this bond called (sized per 250.66). What is this bond called, we don't have GE, the trailer frame is the "ground", there fore we can not call it a GEC.
250.30 is your reference. It's either a System Bonding Jumper or Supply Side Bonding Jumper.

We are adding a 45 KVA 480-208 SDS for lighting 120 recp and welding recp. Again I will bond the XO to the trailer frame. I will also need an EGC running from the 208 panel to the frame of the 45 KVA tranny, the 480 panel and back to the GEN frame. Can this EGC also serve as my bonding jumper from tranny XO to gen frame (bonding jumper from XO to gen fram will be continious).
It has to.

Thank all - LRB
You are always going to have a voltage potential to earth unless you are standing directly on top of the ground rod. You can drive ground rods till spring and it won't change that. 250.34 tells you that you don't need a ground rod for vehicle mounted generators.

Status
Not open for further replies.