Possible Electrician Job in Lockport IL Next Spring

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
We are contemplating switching our stove from gas to induction. Decision to be made in a month or two. It would require installing a new 240V, single phase, 40 amp circuit. It would run across the open ceiling of an unfinished basement around 80 feet, run through the ceiling up to the location of the range, and include an outlet that is compatible with the range.

I would like to get a "rough order of magnitude" estimate of the cost for an electrician to install such a circuit. I want no commitments; I won't hold anyone to this estimate. I will get a written proposal and a written contract when the time comes. I just want something I can use to help us decide whether the overall project cost of the induction range will be reasonable.

Lockport is about 35 miles SW of Chicago. I recall that Chicago requires circuits to be in conduit (usually EMT). I don't know if Lockport has the same requirement, but let's assume for now that it does.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would guess no less than $1200 but I am shooting from the hip. If they are all union electricians then I suspect it will be much higher.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I would guess no less than $1200 but I am shooting from the hip. If they are all union electricians then I suspect it will be much higher.
The billing rate is typically between $150 and $200 per hour for many of the union contractors in northern Illinois.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Here is how I am thinking about this. If the electrical adds $3000 to allow installation of a $3000 induction range, I doubt that I would do it. But if it adds $2000 to a $4000 range, I might do it. The difference is that I want to put the most money into the range itself. From the info you have all given me, it might be doable. Given that the ceiling is open, I think it reasonable for 2 persons to do the install in one 8-hour day. Adding materials and permits and such to the cost, it could still be in my budget.

Thanks for the answers. When we get closer to making a decision, I may come back with more questions for this group.

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
It would require installing a new 240V, single phase, 40 amp circuit. It would run across the open ceiling of an unfinished basement around 80 feet, run through the ceiling up to the location of the range, and include an outlet that is compatible with the range.
I'm surprised at the answers; this sounds simpler than the common 32A upgrades for a receptacle for an electric car on a 40A breaker. Everything in the open. It will be curious what a local firm quotes you.