Possible interference from dimmers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. First post here. I was recently contacted by a church group saying they were having problems with lines and interference showing up on the projector screen any time they used any of the 5 dimmers (round dial type) on the wall located about 6' away from the projector and sound equipment. The receptacle the projector is plugged into is a dedicated circuit run with romex and is about 3' from the dimmer bank. The dedicated receptacle circuit is fed from one panel while the lights with dimmers are fed from another. As stated when the dimmers are used lines begin to move around on the projector screen. The lines are always there but only move when you wiggle the dimmers. I took the dedicated recep out of the box and it has a ground (bare copper). If I disconnect the ground from the recep all lines disappear even when wiggling the dimmers. Reconnecting the ground causes the lines to reappear. The dimmers themselves are older and have no ground wire or ground screw (2 wire). The lights the dimmers control are roughly 60' away from the dimmers and control booth. Does anyone have any experience with this? My first thought is to replace the dimmers with modern ones that have a ground. I would also like to try to temporarily remove the dimmers from the equation and just wire nut the wires in the box together just to see if the interference goes away but i didn't have time. I don't have much experience with interference and any suggestions you guys might have is appreciated.

gar

Occupation
EE
180728-1027 EDT

username5000:

Any dimmer that uses phase shift switching to control average voltage to a load will create RFI (Radio Frequency Interference). This results from the fast switching from "off to on" or "on to off" of current every cycle. The points in the cycle where switching occurs determines the dimming level, and how your interference shows up.

Unless the dimmer has some sort filtering in it a change of dimmers will probably be no help.

I may comment more later.

Status
Not open for further replies.