Possible to Island a Grid Tied Solar Array ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I wonder about using the SMA secure outlet to feed a UPS and then you load? My system has SMAs but I haven't tried the island outlet feature.
Probably a good idea if the UPS and connected load are sized properly for the SMA capacity. Any UPS is unlikely to keep you going through the night, but could make power more reliable during the day.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I presume that a DC coupled inverter _with storage and storage management_ would be smart enough to reduce the PV production when the battery is full and usage is less than production.
Maybe they can now; I haven't dealt with off grid DC coupled systems in several years (and I never want to again), but at least that used to not be the case.

rainwater01

Occupation
Electrician
I installed a Generac whole house solar system with 18kwh of batteries and 10.3 kw of panels this summer (in Indiana) and hours after we commissioned it a storm went through and took out the grid for several days. They didn’t have to change their lifestyle other than adjusting the ac thermostat a little on day 2. They had around 25 percent battery capacity the first morning after the storm.

I put the whole house on the solar system and used smart management modules on the ac and dryer. It’s a smaller house with gas domestic water, gas heat and a gas range. So it’s doable but you need to prioritize loads, or have a critical loads panel, and/or have gas for appliances.

The sol-ark is cool because it’s ac and dc coupled and includes 2 mppt charge controllers so you can add it to a “grid tied” system and add batteries. You can also add more panels wired in dc to the charge controllers.

I think most people get solar to offset their energy but it costs so much that when the grid goes down they feel like they should be able to run their house since they’re making their own power. Once you add batteries you’re paying for peace of mind kind of like a generator so it’s a little less about roi to some extent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I presume that a DC coupled inverter _with storage and storage management_ would be smart enough to reduce the PV production when the battery is full and usage is less than production. ...

-Jon
Even some AC coupled systems are smart enough to do this.

analog8484

Occupation
Tech
I installed a Generac whole house solar system with 18kwh of batteries and 10.3 kw of panels this summer (in Indiana) and hours after we commissioned it a storm went through and took out the grid for several days. They didn’t have to change their lifestyle other than adjusting the ac thermostat a little on day 2. They had around 25 percent battery capacity the first morning after the storm.

I put the whole house on the solar system and used smart management modules on the ac and dryer. It’s a smaller house with gas domestic water, gas heat and a gas range. So it’s doable but you need to prioritize loads, or have a critical loads panel, and/or have gas for appliances.

The sol-ark is cool because it’s ac and dc coupled and includes 2 mppt charge controllers so you can add it to a “grid tied” system and add batteries. You can also add more panels wired in dc to the charge controllers.

I think most people get solar to offset their energy but it costs so much that when the grid goes down they feel like they should be able to run their house since they’re making their own power. Once you add batteries you’re paying for peace of mind kind of like a generator so it’s a little less about roi to some extent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What was the total system cost?

analog8484

Occupation
Tech
It can be done, Tesla Powerwall does it, but even then over a period of time the load will disconnect in order to get the batteries back up to a set voltage level. Basically you have to have a way to disconnect from the utility. Then you need another set of inverters or generator that can create a sync voltage to tell the main inverters to keep running. Then you have to manage your load to make sure you don't overload the inverters. Then you need a bleed load such as a water heater, lake or heat resistor to absorb the power you don't use. As you can see it isn't easy and can cost a fortune.

Not just Powerwall, any home battery system can do it but not financially justifiable for even fairly frequent backup power usage during power outages. Many solar owners like the idea of home battery systems for power outages until they see the cost which can often be higher than solar system itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.