Post Lightning Strike Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennie

Esteemed Member
Re: Post Lightning Strike Test

klimala: I'm pleased to see the Marine Corps represented on this forum. I was with the First Marine Air Wing, Korean war era.

Where are you located? What is the visible damage?

As stated in the recommended thread, testing is problematic.

tklimala

The only visible damage is the front porch light was blown out of the socket. Other than that and a few electronics being messed up that is all thats visibly damaged.

bennie

Esteemed Member

Is this event definitely a lightning strike? I have seen the results of high voltage, being impressed on the low side, causing all kinds of damage.

This is a hard call...I would remove the wall cover in a few places for visual inspection. If you find some damage, I would replace all wiring.

bennie

Esteemed Member

Also...An insulation test is a good idea, but not a final decision maker.

hurk27

Even with a insulation test there could be wire with the insulation blown off. this is when there is a direct strike on the electric or any circuit. I was on one this spring and when I went into the attic there was no noticable damage but when I moved some romex's going down a wall to the basement (home-runs) breakers started to trip we opened the wall and most of the wires had the insulation blown off but the wires were not touching. hope this gives you some kind of idea at what can happen.

brian john

Prior to removing any walls, I would recommend utilizing a megger. Prior to megging a circuit one should make sure all loads are disconnected and it would be recommended that one starts with the lowest voltage on the meter (typically 100 VDC or 250 VDC).
This would minimize possible damage to sensitive equipment that might have been inadvertently left connected.

It has been mentioned that there is a possibility of bare wires not touching, this is possible, but typically wires damaged from lightning are damaged from excessive heat. This excessive heat will change the insulator to a semi conductor or conductor and this should help in minimizing the bare non-touching mentioned.

One has to be careful as lightning can and does take many paths; I would look at all wiring in the structure and err on the side of safety.

charlie tuna

if the strike voltage entered the house thru the service conductors ???? make sure you inspect the system grounding and bond in the meter socket and service disconnect switch if used....

romels

Just want to know the required height of an electrical post distributing primary line with reference to a roof of a bunggalo house. Around how many meters should the primary line from the roof of the bunggalo house?

Thanks...

charlie tuna

lightning "is unpredictable" - i'm sure you've heard that statement.. and i'm assuming your home is insured? i have seen different strike damage and not one resembles the other. one thing for sure is to make sure everything thats wrong gets fixed while the insurance company is paying for it! contact a knowledgable electrical contractor and let him start at the service and visually inspect the disconnect - service meter - ground system - main panels - all unused receptacles - and all equipment utilizing receptacles - everything and not only that it operates - but performs the function it is designed to do.. inspect the attic space - tv service - telephone service - i would not recommend the use of a megger unless there is a grounding problem. remember ---- unpredictable!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.