Poured walls

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Daughter is in the planning stages of a new home. She wants poured concrete exterior walls for the thermal mass properties. The exterior portion will be insulated. The last time I did any of this type of work they were using plywood forms & we attached the boxes to the forms somehow. Don't remember. How are you getting boxes inside the walls using the forms they have now?

480sparky

Usually the styro is 2" thick. Take a cheap electric chainsaw and cut a groove for the cable. Dig out the styro for a 4x4 box and Ramset it to the 'crete. Install a proper-depth mud ring.

Typically, there's plastic strips on either the surface of the styro or just below every 8" for drywall screws. Keep your boxes & grooves between them.

To protect the blade of the chainsaw, I took an 8" piece of 1/2" allthread and mounted it through a hole the bar, 4" on each side. Makes a deptch-guage out of it.

steelersman

Daughter is in the planning stages of a new home. She wants poured concrete exterior walls for the thermal mass properties. The exterior portion will be insulated. The last time I did any of this type of work they were using plywood forms & we attached the boxes to the forms somehow. Don't remember. How are you getting boxes inside the walls using the forms they have now?
why would you want the boxes in the concrete? Aren't there going to be any walls framed up inside?

Occupation
EC - retired
why would you want the boxes in the concrete? Aren't there going to be any walls framed up inside?

That is part of the discussion. Some of the walls, like kitchen, may need to be framed, otherwise she would be happy with the rock being directly attached to the wall.

Insulation is to be only on the exterior, under the stucco or whatever she decides to put over it.

Occupation
EC - retired
Are the walls insulated inside and out? http://www.logixicf.com/media/products/standard.jpg If so I have done many of this style really easy to install. Let me know.

That is her third choice, and they do have some really nice boxes for it. It may be cheaper/easier in the long run than what she has in mind.

While she wants to build, the area she has purchased the land in has an unexpected $10,000 fee for construction on top of permits etc. Nothing like encouraging people to build. She would really like to get this going while the interest rates are low.

480sparky

That is her third choice, and they do have some really nice boxes for it. It may be cheaper/easier in the long run than what she has in mind.

While she wants to build, the area she has purchased the land in has an unexpected $10,000 fee for construction on top of permits etc. Nothing like encouraging people to build. She would really like to get this going while the interest rates are low.

$10K 'construction fee'??? Who charges that, and why?

Man, am I ever in the wrong business!
Angry_emoticon_by_smiekie.gif

ed downey

Just curious what the name of the small town is? I live in the area and have not heard of such a fee. Then again I work mostly on Commercial work and cities usually give money to Owners wanting to build a commercial building:)

Status
Not open for further replies.