Power consumption device

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCrow

Occupation
Electrical
I am looking for a device you can mount in a residential panel that has two cts and records the power consumption or amps of home. Also like to be able to download chart out .

gar

Occupation
EE
210413-2053 EDT

The Crow:

Consider a used TED 1000 or 5000. Searching the Internet you will find some, and a lot of comments that result from persons that do not study the basics of these devices.

I have analyzed the data streams of both the TED 1000 and 5000 Systems. See

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Permanent install or movable? Amps only or power?

Permanent install for amperage tracking you can build your own with parts available at online distributors.
My estimate of your costs, not counting labor and miscellaneous materials is about $1300 for a build it yourself system.
Depends on your abilities, willingness to learn, and the actual goal.
This setup can email, text, graph and store years worth of data garnered from one second or longer intervals.
YMMV.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am looking for a device you can mount in a residential panel that has two cts and records the power consumption or amps of home. Also like to be able to download chart out .
Something like this?

That's just one of the various functions.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Note that Amps is not "power consumption"... for power consumption you NEED amps, but you also need voltage and a way to determine power factor. Then "power" is drawn, but is not the same and "energy" that is consumed. For energy consumption you need to be able to integrate power drawn across time, or what's called a kWh meter. That's what the devices mentioned above actually are, I'm just pointing out that the original request for CTs and an ammeter would NOT provide power draw or energy consumption.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
kWh
Note that Amps is not "power consumption"... for power consumption you NEED amps, but you also need voltage and a way to determine power factor. Then "power" is drawn, but is not the same and "energy" that is consumed. For energy consumption you need to be able to integrate power drawn across time, or what's called a kWh meter. That's what the devices mentioned above actually are, I'm just pointing out that the original request for CTs and an ammeter would NOT provide power draw or energy consumption.
Thus kWh.

Status
Not open for further replies.