Power Converter Connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgoth

I have an application where I have to place a 120VAC to 12VDC, 35A power converter inside a home and then wire the 12VDC to a junction box on the home exterior for access to a motorized patio awining.
The power converter comes with a 2' 120VAC plug in cord and screw terminals for the 12VDC output.
I think I can mount the converter to the joists, say in a crawlspace, install a power receptacle within 2' and then use 14AWG Romex from the 12VDC screw terminals to a junction box on the home exterior.
However, I'm not sure that I'm allowed to leave the screw terminal connection uncovered. The screw terminals are shrouded in plastic and can not be touched or shorted and the wire connection point is recessed, but is this sufficient? Do I have to enclose the entire power converter (I can't envision just covering the connections).

Your advise is greatly appreciated,
Mark

mgoth

Re: Power Converter Connections

I just found a picture illustrating 400.8 under the Free 2002 NEC Graphic Illustrations on this web site. I am now wondering if I can indeed plug in the power converter if located in a crawlspace under the home. I guess the attic is out of the question for a plug in application. It seems like the power converter may have to be placed in an enclosure (not recommended by the manufacturer due to heat dissipation) with the power cord spliced to romex within the enclosure.

Any thoughts?
Mark

hurk27

Re: Power Converter Connections

Hbiss

This is one of the most missconceptions of low voltage.
many think that low voltage is not dangerous and as far as shock hazard it's not under 30 volts but what most dont understand is at low voltages a appliance that let's say 400 watt's would draw a very high current on 12 volts 33.3 to be exact.
and this is where they get into trouble. as we just seen Mgoth is worred about covering the termenals in which would prevent a shock hazard, But there isn't any. but placeing this amount of load on 14 awg wire would be a fire hazard as the 14/2 romex only has a rating of 15 amps non continous. This is why we see alot of kids cars going up in flames when they wire those big power amps for there stereo's they think it's only 12 volts. I had a call last week on a low voltage lighting installation the homeowner smelled somthing electrical burning. when I got there he showed me the lighting and my mouth just droped open. there was 50 hocky puck type lights under, in and over his cabnets. all wired with just one 16 awg zip/lamp cord going to a 1kva buck/boost transformer in the attic. These lights were 20 watts each with a total load 1kw at 12 volts this was over 80 amps talk about a fire hazard there wasn't even a fuse installed at the transformer for the secondary just ran through a ko and wirenuted I asked who installed it and couldn't belive it was a large electrical company that has quiet a few trucks. I asked the homeowner to call the owner of this company and have him meet us there at the house so I could show him what his worker almost done. when he got there and I was showing him the size of the wire his first responce was "it's only low voltage" I just could not beleve what I was hearing. But this just goes to show how miss informed people are.

Status
Not open for further replies.