power factor correction in the home

Status
Not open for further replies.

megloff11x

I recently went to an IEEE lunch where the subject of these "home power factor correction" widgets commercials came up. The power company bills homes in kWh, in other words, they measure the REAL power going to your home, not apparent or reactive. If your home happens to be a big reactive load, you only get billed for your real load, not your VARs. Only industrial customers get dinged for lack of PFC.

The ads claim that their PFC devices save you money on your bill and somehow let you snatch previously unused power from the grid.

They also claim that UL lists the devices - which brings me to another pet peeve on listing. That UL stamp means nothing unless you use as intended and try cross referencing the listing number for more detailed information without sending them a large check... Obviously UL says that the capacitors inside are safe and won't go poof when you hook this thing on. UL is not saying that this thing lowers your bill or lets you grab free power.

Has anyone installed these things?

Matt

mdshunk

I've been asked to, but nobody every followed up with me. What a batch of snake oil, in my opinion. I have no idea how they could possibly save a residential customer any money.

I've seen some models that have big SCR's in them, that switch on and off rapidly to "clip" the waveform somehow for a reduction in energy consumption. Sounds like a bad idea for refrigerators, air conditioners, and other motor loads.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
megloff11x said:
Obviously UL says that the capacitors inside are safe and won't go poof when you hook this thing on.
I've always thought that UL lists assemblies, not parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.