Power Line Radiation

Status
Not open for further replies.

GW4841

If i use a large slingshot type device to shoot used flouescent lamps over HV power lines will they light up? If so is it considered theft of electricity?

nakulak

GW4841 said:
If i use a large slingshot type device to shoot used flouescent lamps over HV power lines will they light up? If so is it considered theft of electricity?

It is my belief that you may be in violation of several ordinances, not the least of which is homeland security /terrorism statutes.

However, if allowed by the ahj in your location, a more appropriate method for performing this experiment might be to build a large enough device so that you can hold the lamp for direct observation whilst you slingshot yourself over the high tension lines. Please send us the videos.

thanks in advance

dbuckley

If you stand under a high voltage line at night and hold a fluorescent tube by one end pointing up it will light up.

Try it!

And I really dont recommend doing anything likely to get you close to a high voltage line; those who know what they are doing dont always make it out alive...

djohns6

I've been working in high voltage substations for 30 years and have never tried the florescent bulb thing . Never thought about it .

dbuckley

Most folks get that AC power lines are reactive things, and understand that all those miles of HV power lines are big capacitors to ground. What they dont always think until prodded is that when you stand underneath an AC power line you are in the capacitor....

cadpoint

djohns6 said:
... have never tried the florescent bulb thing . Never thought about it .

Now that you mention it our POCO is using the substaion Hue for their own substation lighting on photo-cel.

Ode to the electro magnet spectrum!

electricalperson

i remember on the show what would you do with mark summers, they put some guy in an electric chair and gave him a t12 lamp to hold and it turned on and people were amazed. a strong enough electric field could cause a tube to come on

Status
Not open for further replies.