Power Pole Fuse question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

foqnc

Our Plant lost a main phase from the power pole. We could see one of the ?Fuses? was hanging down. The Power Company came out and replaced the fuse and everything is OK.
Afterwards a mechanic was asking me how the fuses work since it appeared to him that the lineman just reset the original fuse. When I have seen them replace a fuse at my house, it appeared the lineman removed the original/blown fuse and replaced it. This raised my curiosity regarding what exactly happens.

1. Do they replace the blown fuse?
2. How do the fuses work, as far as being able to come out? I assumed it was some kind of metal that on overload would melt and the fuse would be forced out of the connection by a spring or similar. I also assume it pivots at the bottom so it does not fall on anyone.

Any replies would be appreciated.

PS if this is in the wrong area please feel free to move.

wanderer20001us

These fuses use a fuse link and a spring loaded assembly to accompllish what you are seeing. When the fuse link melts (overcurrent/SS) the link releases the spring tention that holds the fuse in place and the assembly drops down. http://www.sandc.com/products/fuselink/default.asp for a look at a S & C fuse link.

A new link is installed (spring loaded) and the fuse assembly can be re-installed.

Last edited:

foqnc

Thanks for the reply and link. I went out and looked again and understand now. The fuse link is inserted inside a cannister.
Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.