Power Poles

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

What percentage of a utility pole goes underground. i.e. if I want a 35 foot pole measured from grade to the top of the pole, what should be the actual length of the pole?

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited:

bob

A utility would usually dig a 6 ft hole for this size pole. Specs could differ slightly. 6 ft would be fine.

mshields

follow up

follow up

Thanks Bob

Do they go by a percentage as a function of the size of the pole or would 6 suffice for say a 25 foot pole as well?

kbsparky

We did a job a few years back and that bears out. We bought some 60 foot poles, and installed them into the ground 10 feet, with 50 feet showing.

Used `em for ballfield lighting.

mivey

As Iwire posted, it depends on several things. The concerns include soil, lateral load, vertical load, grade of construction, and environment. You might need a stronger pole, engineered pole, more depth, soil enhancement, added footers, and enhanced lateral support.

That said, some rules of thumb are: For good to very good soil and light to average pole loading, 10% plus 2 ft. For heavier loading and average to good soil, 10% plus 4 ft. Use at your own risk as use of these rules should be tempered with experience.

You should also be concerned with the pole class as more vertical load will require a bigger pole and you may even have to have a footer bigger than the pole. Other concerns are enhancing the soil to provide more stress withstand, both vertical and lateral.

I have designed installations where 3-4 ft diameter poles had heavy 5 and 6 ft diameter concrete footers and concrete backfill. You could also have 1/3 or more of the pole in the ground in some cases. Better to ask someone who does it for a living than guess on your own or use some rule of thumb you are not familiar with. Remember you not only have to consider the hole depth but the pole strength, loading, and support as well.

mgookin

What percentage of a utility pole goes underground. i.e. if I want a 35 foot pole measured from grade to the top of the pole, what should be the actual length of the pole?

Thanks,

Mike

Utility poles are friction piles in the Earth. You're going to have to know what the soils are and of course the loading on the pole (dead, snow, wind). And then does it supply an essential facility?

mshields

great input

great input

Thank you all and rest assured I have a structural/Civil engineer on board who will make the final call on this.

Thank you all very much

mivey

Thank you all and rest assured I have a structural/Civil engineer on board who will make the final call on this.

Thank you all very much
A structural/civil engineer may not be your best source (they would be too conservative). A power pole does not have the same requirements as buildings and general structures. You would be better to get someone familiar with designing power lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.