Power Production Source

eds

In the context of 705.12(A) 2017NEC does the breaker that the utilty feed lands on come into play in this calculation?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Not quite sure if I know what you mean.

If you are landing your conductors from the service on a single breaker that is your only main PV system disconnect, then the rating of that breaker is the sum required to be considered in 705.12(A).

If you had multiple systems connected in multiple places, you would add together their overcurrent device ratings. But you would not be required to add anything except the main overcurrent device(s) for whatever you define as each separate systems.

eds

For example, lets propose that i have 40 amps being produced from my pv source, and 40 amps from my ess. PV and ess land in my gateway, gatway is connected to the incoming utility via a line side tap 705.12(A). Do I need to include the main breaker in my calculation. Dont believe I do, but was curious about the definition of power production source.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
No you don't need to count the main breaker. 40A+40A=80A for the sum of both systems.

Or, perhaps call the whole thing a single 'system' and only count the 80A main breaker, although with PV and ES this might raise eyebrows.

But in any case, don't count both.

(In an rare circumstance it might make a difference whether you call it one or two systems. Suppose for example your PV and ES systems both have a max output of 27A. You used 40A breakers because 30A is too small and 35A harder to get. Nothing wrong with all that. But now your main breaker for the whole 'system' can be 70A which is less than adding PV+ES breakers.)