Power shutoff by the utility?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Just curious about how that works. Is there a 2 pole contactor inside the meter enclosure, or do they fit something like that in the actual meter itself?
It's a pair of contacts built inside the back of the meter itself, on the load terminals, addressable by the POCO.

I saw one being built on How It's Made.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Subtraction? The HVAC bill is from that meter. Subtract the HVAC meter reading from the main and you have the rest of the bill.
I agree. But you might have a hard time convincing the customer of that. Trying to figure out my poco bill is rough 😕

kwired

Electron manager
Never seen anything like that around my neck of the woods.

Just curious about how that works. Is there a 2 pole contactor inside the meter enclosure, or do they fit something like that in the actual meter itself?

Is it used to help stagger re-energizing scores of houses downstream of a cutout that some lineman is about to close? Or for load shedding?

Or is it primarily to cut-off people that are not paying bills? That would certainly be a very small slice of the customer pie chart.

Again, just curious.
Non payment of bill would be primary purpose I would think. Instead of sending out people to make disconnects after last day of grace for payment, then send them out again later the same day to reconnect those who came in and paid they can simply disconnect/reconnect from a computer terminal at the office.

Charged

Occupation
Electrical Designer
I bet it is a sub meter and it is per utility specification to qualify for rebate, basically to ensure its revenue grade. Seen it done like that for EV. It does look odd on the surface.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Instead of sending out people to make disconnects after last day of grace for payment, then send them out again later the same day to reconnect those who came in and paid they can simply disconnect/reconnect from a computer terminal at the office.
Yet they still charge the same reconnect fee. :cautious:

kwired

Electron manager
Yet they still charge the same reconnect fee. :cautious:
So does many cell phone or internet services should you be disconnected for non payment when they reenable it from a keyboard in some office as well or some cases I think is totally automated by the system once payment is posted. I know I've had my cell service disabled for non payment before and paid the bill online and the phone service resumed within minutes.

qcroanoke

Occupation
Sorta retired........
So does many cell phone or internet services should you be disconnected for non payment when they reenable it from a keyboard in some office as well or some cases I think is totally automated by the system once payment is posted. I know I've had my cell service disabled for non payment before and paid the bill online and the phone service resumed within minutes.
Same way with Sirius radio. You renew and it's working in minutes.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I don't see how it could be a sub meter how would they compute the bill if its already pulling through the main meter?
:unsure:
Why would it be a problem for the POCO if both meter outputs are being reported to them? The math is simple.

POCOs that require a separate meter for PV system output do this sort of thing all the time.

qcroanoke

Occupation
Sorta retired........
Why would it be a problem for the POCO if both meter outputs are being reported to them? The math is simple.

POCOs that require a separate meter for PV system output do this sort of thing all the time.
I said: it might be a problem explaining it to the customer. I didnt say the math was difficult.
:cautious:

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I said: it might be a problem explaining it to the customer. I didnt say the math was difficult.
:cautious:
You didn't say that in the post I replied to and I hadn't seen #23 yet, but no matter. Peace out.

qcroanoke

Occupation
Sorta retired........
You didn't say that in the post I replied to and I hadn't seen #23 yet, but no matter. Peace out.
That's the problem. You didn't read post 23. But you did take the time to take a shot at me and you've done that before.
Just tired of it.