power tools in class II division II areas

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKN012

where can I find information on specific power tools like 120vac hand held grinders and recipricating saws and the acceptable areas they can be used?

Can you operate a common tool in a C2D2 space??

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Other than lighting, the NEC doesn't generally speak directly to portable utilization equipment in classified locations. I am unaware of any tools identified for Class II, Division 2.

That said, a "common tool" would not be appropriate in Class II, Division 2. The typical approach is to temporarily reclassify the location with a "hot work" permit and insuring good housekeeping has reduced the Division 2 location to its absolute minimum.

Since you haven't described the process (Group is also very important) any other answers are pure speculation.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Fiberglass resin grinding dust
I have to confess - that one throws me. If it's any thing it's Group G; however, none of the resources I have including several online MSDS documents indicate that its dust is a Class II material. That the base material can burn would suggest that it would be Class II. If someone documented the electrical area classification as required by Section 500.4(A), I'd like to know the basis.

That said, in absence of information to the contrary, my original post stands: "Common tools" aren't appropriate in a Class II location.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I have to confess - that one throws me. If it's any thing it's Group G; however, none of the resources I have including several online MSDS documents indicate that its dust is a Class II material. That the base material can burn would suggest that it would be Class II. If someone documented the electrical area classification as required by Section 500.4(A), I'd like to know the basis.

That said, in absence of information to the contrary, my original post stands: "Common tools" aren't appropriate in a Class II location.
I think it would also depend on how the dust resulting from the grinding operation is handled. If you attach a suction collector to the grinder and do not allow dust build up on surfaces or in the air, you should be able to avoid a Class II designation in the first place, no?

One question I would ask for reference is whether specialized fiberglass sanders and grinders are made and sold to meet Class II safety requirements?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
I think it would also depend on how the dust resulting from the grinding operation is handled. If you attach a suction collector to the grinder and do not allow dust build up on surfaces or in the air, you should be able to avoid a Class II designation in the first place, no?

One question I would ask for reference is whether specialized fiberglass sanders and grinders are made and sold to meet Class II safety requirements?
That's why I mentioned I'd like to know the basis of classification in the latter post and good housekeeping in the original. It may be over-classified; without knowing the basis - who knows?

Dust collecting systems are certainly an acceptable approach, but they are no longer "common tools".

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
That's why I mentioned I'd like to know the basis of classification in the latter post and good housekeeping in the original. It may be over-classified; without knowing the basis - who knows?

Dust collecting systems are certainly an acceptable approach, but they are no longer "common tools".
I only buy common tools like sanders that are at least compatible with dust collecting systems. Whether you use a bag, attach a hose, or just ignore it all will depend on what you are working on.
Same for saws, although drills are more of a problem. :)
I would guess that you have used or at least seen the various "drywall bag" products for cutting holes in ceilings?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
I only buy common tools like sanders that are at least compatible with dust collecting systems. Whether you use a bag, attach a hose, or just ignore it all will depend on what you are working on.
Same for saws, although drills are more of a problem. :)
I would guess that you have used or at least seen the various "drywall bag" products for cutting holes in ceilings?
You are making the assumption that it is only those tools creating the dust. So far, that is a fact not in evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.