Powered Speaker Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
I am on this project, need to install a powered in-ceiling 8" coax speaker that is Bluetooth enabled. Most of these speakers come with a wall-wart DC supply, but looking for direct wire unit. Speaker is low power, 20Wrms.

Owner wants the speaker to only turn on when the room light switch goes on. Attic is walkable.

How to wire such and be NEC compliant?

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Yes, I can install anything anywhere on this project.
So tap a switched light ckt over to a single receptacle near the speaker, then just park the wall wart in the attic? That's NEC compliant?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Yes, like almost any attic receptacle, nailed to a rafter to keep it above the insulation. I would feed it from the switch box in case anyone ever wants to make it always-hot in the future, or feed it with 3-wire cable and split-wire it.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes, I can install anything anywhere on this project.
So tap a switched light ckt over to a single receptacle near the speaker, then just park the wall wart in the attic? That's NEC compliant?
Yes, receptacles in attic are code compliant and even required when there is some mechanical equipment like AC units installed in them.

Todd0x1

I would avoid putting the wall wart in the attic. It's not going to last very long in those temperatures. I'd look to locate the wall wart in conditioned space if possible.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
The home is in a development of track homes, basically all the same. The HVAC in attic plugs directly into a receptacle (cap-cord hvac power, crazy).

My question is not about recept in attic, it's how to switch it on/off. Two LED lights in the room will be on 3way switch(es). So tap the switched power at a light box over to a single recept (like it's a 3rd light)?

It's not about where the power comes from, more about how it's switched on/off.

Last edited:

FionaZuppa

Occupation
I would avoid putting the wall wart in the attic. It's not going to last very long in those temperatures. I'd look to locate the wall wart in conditioned space if possible.
These homes are roof insulated (blown in), no insulation above ceilings. Attic space stays cool in summer (~77F), and just a bit cooler in winter (~70F).

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Update:
Moved away from powered in-ceiling speakers, going with integrated light/speaker/BT units.

Something like the Lithonia Lighting 6SL-RD-07LM-40K-90CRI-MW-M6
These however have some sort of annoying beep at turn on and turn off.

Gene B

Just a thought, but it might be better to have the bluetooth receiver always powered, and only switch the amplifier. That way the sound can be instant on potentially, instead of a possibly lengthy startup delay.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Just a thought, but it might be better to have the bluetooth receiver always powered, and only switch the amplifier. That way the sound can be instant on potentially, instead of a possibly lengthy startup delay.
Bath fan manufacturers have tinkered with that for years. It's a bit annoying to have the BT switched

Status
Not open for further replies.