Powering EV charging stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABEN

Occupation
Electrical
I have 4 consecutive spots in a parking lot reserved for future EV charging stations. All the charging stations are powered from the same panel, but dedicated circuits, which is about 200 ft away. I want to know if its acceptable to loop the conduits from one spot to another and just have 1 home run conduit or do I need individual conduits for each spot?

retirede

I think a single home run containing all conductors is acceptable, but you need to be cognizant of conductor derating that will be required.

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
I would sure be tempted to run a 200 ft feeder and set a panel near the charging stations.
Definitely. I'd do that. Run some fat cheap aluminum to a panel and save on precious EMT and copper.

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Some pedestal mount chargers have internal breakers with loop feed lugs just like an RV pedestal, seems like it was Eaton that made them, probably others have the same thing.

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
Some pedestal mount chargers have internal breakers with loop feed lugs just like an RV pedestal, seems like it was Eaton that made them, probably others have the same thing.
Plus some do power management, allowing smaller feeders.

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
If you don't do a feeder/panel just after you finish the job the customer will call and say he would like to add a few lights and receps. Do the the feeder/panel and save the customer some later heartache.

Status
Not open for further replies.