PPE requirements...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmiller

We have a bunch of equipment at my work, anytime we have to do any electrical work we LOTO before working on it. There are time when I need to open the machines electrical control cabinet and troubleshoot the system.

Machines are either
480v or 240v 3 phase - a few running of 208v
breaker sizes ranging from 30 to 125 amp.
also DC buses with capacitors for the Servo systems

I realise that I need to read the NFPA70E and learn all about PPE and how to do the calculations. I assume to do this I would need some sort of PP besides my safety glasses.

The newer machines have compartments where the motor/servo loads are seperated from the 24vcd control loads which is nice.

Thanks
MIke

zog

We have a bunch of equipment at my work, anytime we have to do any electrical work we LOTO before working on it. There are time when I need to open the machines electrical control cabinet and troubleshoot the system.

Even after LOTO you need the proper PPE to verify the equipment is de-energized.

Machines are either
480v or 240v 3 phase - a few running of 208v
breaker sizes ranging from 30 to 125 amp.
also DC buses with capacitors for the Servo systems

I realise that I need to read the NFPA70E and learn all about PPE and how to do the calculations. I assume to do this I would need some sort of PP besides my safety glasses.

You will need much more, but no one can tell you what level is required with the info provided. You will need to know the available fault current and clearing time of the protective devices. For a small system like you are describing it is likely you will be able to use the tables to determine your required PPE.

Status
Not open for further replies.