Ppe

Status
Not open for further replies.

dshelley

the way I understand the saftey code is PPE is supposed to be worn when opening a live panel, testing amps or voltage, testing panel to make sure it is denergized, inspecting or turning off a breaker. It does not allow you to work on live parts inside equipment. Its sole purpose is to be used inside the arc zone until equipment is denergized. is this true?

zog

the way I understand the saftey code is PPE is supposed to be worn when opening a live panel, testing amps or voltage, testing panel to make sure it is denergized, inspecting or turning off a breaker. It does not allow you to work on live parts inside equipment. Its sole purpose is to be used inside the arc zone until equipment is denergized. is this true?

More or less that is correct, there are a few exceptions, and it also depends on what you are calling work.

krisinjersey

Cleaning

Cleaning

We had some maintenance guys we knew decide a switchgear needed a "dusting and cleaning". They were concerned about spider webs inside the gear and around the buss work.
One guy is now dead and the other doesn't have the use of his right arm because they were "cleaning". We had to rebuild the gear and replace the feeder conduits and cables. If you can see the picture I attached you can see the burn mark on the wall to the left. It was a horrific mess and a perfect example of unqualified personnel working where they shouldn't be. Just because you have a screw driver and the cover has screws doesn't mean you're qualified to remove the cover.
So while I get that the safety code spells out what to wear and where to wear what (that's a mouthfull) it also says you need to be qualified to be inside that equipment to begin with. It's really a bad idea to try to get around safety code by redefining the task to avoid the safety procedure as though it's impeding your work. It makes sense to de-energize everything if you need to "clean it".

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
It does not allow you to work on live parts inside equipment. Its sole purpose is to be used inside the arc zone until equipment is denergized. is this true?
I would say that is not a good description of the purpose or intent of the PPE requirements. Rather, I would say that its purpose is two fold: (1) To reduce the chances of unprotected skin coming into contact with a live component, and (2) To reduce the likelihood or degree of injury, in the event that an arc flash occurs while you are close to the equipment.

If for example (for reasons I cannot even begin to fathom) you find yourself bolting on a bolt-on breaker to a live bus (bad idea), then your hands will definitely be within the "Prohibited Approach Boundary." That essentially means that your clothing has to be able to protect you against shock under the presumption that you intend to deliberately touch the live bus bar with your gloved hand (another bad idea). More to the point, the PPE requirements are designed to protect you against accidental contact, given that you will be so close that accidental contact becomes a very real danger.

But let's not confuse the PPE requirements related to shock to those related to arc flash. They are separate dangers, and they involve different physical bases for their requirements. The three boundaries, "Limited Approach, Restricted Approach, and "Prohibited Approach" are based solely on the voltage level, and they deal with shock hazards. The PPE requirements for arc flash are based on the amount of energy that could be released during an arc event. That amount of energy will depend on such things as voltage level, cable lengths and sizes, and breaker trip settings.

So to directly address your question, if you intend to do anything to a live panel with the access door open, then PPE requirements will apply. That is, once you open the door, you are doing live work, regardless of what task lies before you.

pfalcon

what about programing or adjust frequency drives where the power has to be on?

Common problem on old equipment where the ports are not run outside the cabinet. PPE is still required to access the the ports inside the cabinet. Once you are plugged in you can run the cables to a safe location outside the boundaries. Then your programmer doesn't need the PPE, just the EL that plugged the cables in. As to adjusting the drives, PPE.

wtucker

70E defines "working on" as "coming in contact with energized electrical components or parts with the hands, feet, or other body parts, with tools, probes, or with test equipment, regardles of the personal protective equipment a person is wearing." It goes on to describe diagnostic work and repair work.

There's a reason it's called work--If it was fun, we'd leave the house saying, "See ya later, babe. I'm going to fun."

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Given a 480V single phase combination starter. Incident energy can not be calculated for single phase circuits using the IEEE 1584 standard.
Disconnect is opened and load side voltage is confirmed to be de-energized wearing HRC2* PPE per the task table, the only live voltage is on the incoming lugs behind finger safe terminals.

What PPE is required to replace the starter?
The will be no interaction with the disconnect, as the starter is separated from it by at least 12" of wire and 4" of air.

Status
Not open for further replies.