Practical thinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

220wire

I had a Class 1 div. 1 area that I felt I could have wired different. I had two pumps in a pit that required seal offs. I thought instead of using a seal off; stub a sched80 PVC up from the metal plate covering the pit to protect the SJOW cords connected to the pumps and floats, and sealing the end of the PVC with duct seal to prevent any significant amount of gases through. This made sense to me b/c I do a lot of maintenance and I would rather pick out duct seal that Chink-o. I realise you can't use sched 80 in a class 1 div 1 per NEC but it seems that this would make sense since it would not rust. I didn't think any body would be smokin next to the pit to cause an explosion. Any thoughts or critiques?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You've got my blessing. :smile:

Seriously (hey, it could happen!), I'm not familiar enough with that work to give a meaningful answer.

I just didn't want to see you get no responses and feel all lonely. :D

SEO

Where is the junction box located for the motors and floats? If it is located outside the pit you are only using the pvc to protect the cords going to the jb which may not be a problem. However if it is located in the pit then you would have to use permanent wiring methods for the location. Is the cover to the pit sealed?

220wire

I wanted to run the cords all the way back to the control panel without any splices along the way(it's about 8' away from the pit). This is why i was trying to design a mo' better way of doing this. The pit is covered by a 1/2" thick steel plate that has hubs welded on it for the pit penetrations. I was trying to avoid the chico but ended up with seal offs installed.

Cavie

icon6.gif
Practical thinking? What did you wanna go an do that for?

Status
Not open for further replies.