Pray you don't get a customer that wants these

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I can't see how these would ever be Code compliant. We all know you can't bury a splice behind sheet-rock and that's basically what they are doing. If the receptacle goes bad (and it will) and you have to replace it you'll have to cut the sheet-rock out to get to it. Just hope this doesn't go viral and end up in home decorators' computers. They think all this crap is the greatest thing since sliced bread. :)

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I installed them once in a kitchen.
You have to make sure that the cabinet style is wide enough to accept a switch box behind it.
They look sharp after the install is complete.
I'm not a fan of them.
I rather use the sill lite receptacle.
The cabinet installer said HE installs them quite often. He never has used a box.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I installed them once in a kitchen.
You have to make sure that the cabinet style is wide enough to accept a switch box behind it.
They look sharp after the install is complete.
I'm not a fan of them.
I rather use the sill lite receptacle.
The cabinet installer said HE installs them quite often. He never has used a box.
Yeah, okaaaaaaay...

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Near the end of the video you can see how you get access to the box. Look compliant to me. The last I looked they were incredibly expensive but that was years ago.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Yeah, okaaaaaaay...
I had left two boxes behind just in case I I couldn't get there while the base cabinets were being assembled. I told him that he had to modify the sides of the joining base cabinets to fit the box in properly . (He seemed like a decent professional tradesman that I could trust.)
I showed up just after he installed the cabinet. He had sliced both sides of the plastic switch box off to fit it in behind the cabinet stile and installed it.
Needless to say he got a good lecture from me.
Shame on me too. Lesson learned on my part as well.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Todd0x1

Does that mean you will have to pay for a field visit from a NRTL?
I think the follow up services procedure is where UL visits the factory that makes them.

Edit: yup

VirutalElectrician

Occupation
Sparky - Trying to be retired
How durable are these things with daily use? Looks like they are only held in by some sort of plastic clips. Push too hard, you'll push the outlet right into the hole? Is the plastic frame strong enough so that repeated removal/insertion doesn't stress the plaster over it and crack it?

Status
Not open for further replies.