Pre employment test

Choice_Gorilla

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Late to the game, but what about a rough blueprint of a residential kitchen with some equipment specs and ask them to draw all the circuits and label the wire sizes. Could do the same thing for a simple commercial blueprint.

paullmullen

Occupation
Electrical Engineer & Master Electrician
we are looking to improve the selection of new hires
What is the dimension of the improvement you're looking for? My sense is that most of the technical stuff can be taught, but a naturally curious person who is constantly learning and excited to be at work is a much harder find. Here are some ideas:
  • What was the biggest thing you learned in the electrical world in the last month? Explain it to me.
  • What was the biggest thing you learned outside of the electrical world in the last month? Did it change your mind?
  • Tell me about something that used to be confusing to you in the electrical world that you now have mastered. Explain it to me.
  • I want to know how many 200A meters are installed in residences in this country. How would you go about answering that question?
In my first "big boy" interview, the question was "Tell me how you would design a tachometer." The interviewer didn't care if I got it right, he just wanted to understand how I thought about it and how many potential approaches I'd consider.