Prefabricated Metal Building Wiring Methods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Electrician
I’ve wired a few of these prefabricated garages (residential) lately, for the most part I had a ton of mc left over from a commercial job so I just ran with it. My question is did I have to use mc or emt? Any advice on where to start my research would be appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Occupation
Electrician
Is there some reason you think that you can't use Romex? If it's just a common residential garage I don't see why you couldn't use Romex.

Old thumb rules that are deeply ingrained in my soul lol. I’m thinking the same thing I just can’t find anything under NM uses that says anything about metal buildings.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Depends. We just did a small prefab metal building and the only way to support, protect, have it look even halfway decent was EMT.
Residential doesn't really have anything to do with it.
Prefab in this case is a metal shop that has decided to weld/bolt a framework then screw sheet metal to it. A bit bigger then the carports you see at the Big Box stores. Same principal.

Occupation
Electrician
Where do you draw the line between nm and any other wiring method in metal structures? MC can’t be exposed to physical damage just like emt. If I was to build a house and use metal studs what’s stopping me from using nm.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Where do you draw the line between nm and any other wiring method in metal structures? MC can’t be exposed to physical damage just like emt. If I was to build a house and use metal studs what’s stopping me from using nm.

They make plastic bushings to snap into holes in the metal studs so you can run NM through them. Seems to me that is adequate protection.

1620915105619.png

Status
Not open for further replies.