Prepainted or powered coated EMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhfire77

Anyone here have a efficient and clean way to paint EMT for pendant fixtures?

I've been supplied powder coated EMT, looks great, can't be cheap but does anyone know where t get it?

Anyone has a shop powder coat it in advance, if so how do you get it to the job without scraping it up?

I do not want to spray paint 100'+ of EMT in the shop, too stinky, dangerous. Too cold outside. 1 or 2 pieces fine but that's it.

PEDRO ESCOVILLA

for transport, bubble wrap and cardboard or paper, just like a pole lite stand. why not precut your lengths (even rough lengths) and spray them in your shop ? unless it's over someone kitchen table, what difference does it make ? i've done that with rigid for pendants in an indoor skating rink before. cut it, thread one end, wipe it down, spray it, let it dry and put it up. or you might look at pre fab fan fixture down tubes if you dont need real long lengths,.you can go 3 feet with those, off the shelf at hd or lowes

Last edited:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Why are you painting them is my first question.

If it is for corrosion protection, I would just paint them with a good metal paint before installing the EMT and touch up after installation as needed. There are plenty of paint shops that can paint EMT for you if you are not interested in doing so.

If it is for appearance only, pay the painter to paint them after the fact.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Alliied Tube

Alliied Tube

You could check out Allied Tube's True Color EMT here. They have eight colors. I've seen the Fire Alarm Red Steel, and it didn't look very red; more like a deep blush pink, but that was 5 years ago and who knows how much better the colors are now. I'll bet they'd send you some samples if you asked.

nhfire77

Drop it off at a manly shop somewhere? :lol:

I know right , what wimp!!! I strongly believe in acknowledging your weaknesses and I suck at that

My shop is small and clean, just being a whiny you know what about smelling paint for a week.

The jobs are overnights, we're the only trade, otherwise it wouldnt be an issue.

It's purely ascetics, and I only assume its white. Specs just say we must supply paint, doesn't explain if it's a specific color etc, I'm waiting for clarification.

We will not be touching up anything on site or in the buildings, not allowed. Maybe way out in the parking lot, if it's not raining that day. My concern is time. We have one night to complete, and painting is not on my list of things guys do well at 3am. Normally, I always pay off painters in beer to avoid this.

tkb

Anyone here have a efficient and clean way to paint EMT for pendant fixtures?

I've been supplied powder coated EMT, looks great, can't be cheap but does anyone know where t get it?

Anyone has a shop powder coat it in advance, if so how do you get it to the job without scraping it up?

I do not want to spray paint 100'+ of EMT in the shop, too stinky, dangerous. Too cold outside. 1 or 2 pieces fine but that's it.

What do you mean for pendant fixtures?
How do you plan on using EMT for pendants and support it within 3' of the termination?

Status
Not open for further replies.