Preparing for the NJ exam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im looking to take the state exam sometime this year april maybe july. I want to start studying now maybe 1 or 2 hours a day. I'll be attending a prep course in April www.alanchech.com. According to him these three texts are required for his class and the exam. NEC 2011, NFPA 72-2010, NJ Electrical Reference - 8th Edition. I also have all my books from my 4 year apprentice classes i took a decade ago. My question i guess is, are there any other recommended texts i could purchase which would help me pass the NJ test? Perhaps someone from NJ recently took the test and found a text helpful in their preparation. thanks in advance for any help.

millelec

I got an NEC study guide on CD that had different tests you could take on computer, that way you get feedback right away and can take it multiple times to gauge how you're doing. Some things you'll see on the test are wirefill calc's, calculating building load, and definitions. The Law/Business test is directly out of the NJ reference, and was the easiest test of the 3 for me, The NFPA fire alarm test also pretty easy. I didn't get any additional guides for those. your teacher should also have some study guides/handouts for you. I'll try to locate the exact CD/test guide and post later. I passed all 3 tests first time around, so it can be done. NEC portion was definitely the hardest tho. 100 questions in 4 hours. I wrote the question numbers down I didn't know/couldn't find quickly, and went back to those when got done w/the rest. Good luck w/it!

jm1470

I took alan's exam prep class he is very good, and has great handouts and has great knowledge of the exam.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Im looking to take the state exam sometime this year april maybe july. I want to start studying now maybe 1 or 2 hours a day. I'll be attending a prep course in April www.alanchech.com. According to him these three texts are required for his class and the exam. NEC 2011, NFPA 72-2010, NJ Electrical Reference - 8th Edition. I also have all my books from my 4 year apprentice classes i took a decade ago. My question i guess is, are there any other recommended texts i could purchase which would help me pass the NJ test? Perhaps someone from NJ recently took the test and found a text helpful in their preparation. thanks in advance for any help.

You might want to confirm that the test will be based on the editions he specified. In NJ it's the 2005 edition (at least for a little while, then '08) and the NFPA 72 we're on the 2002 edition with nothing on the horizon that I know of.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would certainly consider using some of Mike Holt's Exam Preparation materials. I own several of his books and there all well written with great graphics. You can click on the header at the top of this page for more info.

robwire

You might want to confirm that the test will be based on the editions he specified. In NJ it's the 2005 edition (at least for a little while, then '08) and the NFPA 72 we're on the 2002 edition with nothing on the horizon that I know of.

The exam has been on the 2008 for atleast a year now.

I would just get the info on which years straight from the board of electrical contractors . The internet will get you wrong info 75 % of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.