"Pressure-testing" a breaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw_ross

Is it possible to test a breaker somehow under various conditions to check its operation?

I'm not talking about high amperage breakers in commercial applications, just your average everyday snap-in type breaker.

I have a trailer that is fed by a 100 amp breaker mounted on a pole outside that feeds into a panel that has a 100 amp main breaker.

They were losing power at various receptacles that weren't on the same circuit. I wasn't there when it happened (seems intermittent ). By the time I arrived it stopped happening. The only common thing I could see when checking everything out is that the ckts that lost power were on the same phase.

I asked about the 240v loads, range, dryer, etc. they hadn't checked those items.
Voltage throughout the panel checked out ok when I was there.

I'm kinda wondering about the main breakers, either outside on the pole, or inside in the panel.

Is there a way to test a breaker where you try to push a breaker to its limit, just to test it out (without damaging the breaker)?

Thanks!

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
There are companies that test breakers. One guy "Zog" is a member here and tests breakers. Without the special test equipment and training, there isn't a good/safe way to check out in the field. Only thing you might do is an "FOP" (fall of potential) test.

Ingenieur

yes
there are cb testers
they put current thru it and time operaton
they are large and expensive

not sure where you would fine one
I've seen them in mining equip repair shops
and at cb mfgs

sw_ross

ITE breakers

ITE breakers

They're just you're basic ITE breakers.

I bet I could buy a lot of new replacement breakers for the cost of that testing equipment!

The HO says the few times that it has happened was when it was cold temps out. Yesterday morning was -28 when it happened. This morning was -24 and it didn't happen.:?:?:?

user 100

Is it possible to test a breaker somehow under various conditions to check its operation?

I'm not talking about high amperage breakers in commercial applications, just your average everyday snap-in type breaker.

I have a trailer that is fed by a 100 amp breaker mounted on a pole outside that feeds into a panel that has a 100 amp main breaker.

They were losing power at various receptacles that weren't on the same circuit. I wasn't there when it happened (seems intermittent ). By the time I arrived it stopped happening. The only common thing I could see when checking everything out is that the ckts that lost power were on the same phase.

I asked about the 240v loads, range, dryer, etc. they hadn't checked those items.
Voltage throughout the panel checked out ok when I was there.

I'm kinda wondering about the main breakers, either outside on the pole, or inside in the panel.

Is there a way to test a breaker where you try to push a breaker to its limit, just to test it out (without damaging the breaker)?

Thanks!

There is the FOP mentioned by Little Bill, but the thing with testing res grade breakers is that its simply not worth the trouble
b/c they are cheap-you think its bad, just toss it & get another.

Ofc, this is assuming you have eliminated the usual suspects here....failing leg in feeder to mobile/svc drop to main out in yard....bad conn elsewhere...even numerous backstab recs that are failing in different areas- common in a lot of older mhs.

Curious about the 240 stuff........

jumper

There are companies that test breakers. One guy "Zog" is a member here and tests breakers. Without the special test equipment and training, there isn't a good/safe way to check out in the field. Only thing you might do is an "FOP" (fall of potential) test.

zog does not do little stuff at all. He helped me with a 3 phase 480V 400A breaker once and kept referring to it as “small breaker” that he rarely deals with.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
zog does not do little stuff at all. He helped me with a 3 phase 480V 400A breaker once and kept referring to it as “small breaker” that he rarely deals with.

I know that, I was hoping he would chime in and explain to the OP.
He helped me with a breaker a couple of years ago too.

Besoeker

Thanks!
Could even be an upstream intermittent fault on that one phase. But I wouldn't rule out the possibility of faulty breakers.
How expensive would it be to change them?

JFletcher

Before you suspect a main, have you ruled out a bad MWBC? Intermittent problems are the worst, and hard to describe at times. If the HO or you can get a short video of what is happening, that would be great.

At -20*+, your breaker trip curves are really skewed. I wouldnt be surprised if a 100A main could hold 250+A in such cold conditions - even if it is overheating badly, it would bleed away that heat more or less instantly in such cold climates. You have dead outlets at random times. w/o knowing more about the problem, I can only speculate as to where the problem might be.

Loading a breaker to test it isnt really done in the field on small breakers as the troubleshooting cost would quickly exceed materials cost on most of them. Even if you could load the mains to say 130/130A on both legs, if the main doesnt trip, what does that tell you? Nothing. Even knowing specific trip curves of a certain breaker, you have mfg tolerances, and that ambient of -20* is going to skew everything. I once read here that #12 wire will hold 60+ amps in Alaskan winters.

Where does all this lead you? Back to basics I'm afraid.

Sahib

What about bypassing either panel breaker or pole breaker to pinpoint the faulty one as a first step?

Besoeker

What about bypassing either panel breaker or pole breaker to pinpoint the faulty one as a first step?
It may. But almost certainly not worth messing about like that. The pole mounted unit is possibly/probably fed by the Utility Company and you'd have to contact then to do an isolation. It may even be theirs anyway and, if so, you wouldn't be allowed to touch it.

Besides that possible obstacle, the breakers don't cost a lot. Tens of dollars less whatever discount you negotiate with the supplier.

Replace them and, if that doesn't fix the problem, they weren't faulty so you may even be able to sell them back to your customer as used spares............:p

Sahib

It may. But almost certainly not worth messing about like that. The pole mounted unit is possibly/probably fed by the Utility Company and you'd have to contact then to do an isolation. It may even be theirs anyway and, if so, you wouldn't be allowed to touch it.

Besides that possible obstacle, the breakers don't cost a lot. Tens of dollars less whatever discount you negotiate with the supplier.

Replace them and, if that doesn't fix the problem, they weren't faulty so you may even be able to sell them back to your customer as used spares............:p

Those are options, my friend: Replacing, one option. Testing in the way I suggested. another. By the way, wondered how OP suggested the following ?

Besoeker

Those are options, my friend: Replacing, one option. Testing in the way I suggested. another.
Yes, it is. All I'm suggesting is that it would probably cheaper and certainly easier to replace the breakers. It's a one shot deal rather than faffing about trying to prove one after the other.
I can get both breakers for a combined price of about £30. That's about $40 US.

Last edited:

Sahib

Yes, it is. All I'm suggesting is that it would probably cheaper and certainly cheaper to replace the breakers. It's a one shot deal rather than faffing about trying to prove one after the other.
I can get both breakers for a combined price of about £30. That's about $40 US.
If fault is within the breakers, yes. Otherwise, bypassing a breaker at a time is more economical way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.