Price for Profit OR Price to "Win" Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

powerslave said:
Ain't it the truth. Fantastic Sams haircut $16.99. Takes about 10 min. That's over $100/hr....

And that right there is the exact same attitude HOs have towards us. $16.99*6=$101.94. But they, just like us, HAVE OVERHEAD!

Do you think WalMart takes their daily income, divides it by the hours they pay their help, and says everyone makes $65/hour?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
powerslave said:
Ain't it the truth. Fantastic Sams haircut $16.99. Takes about 10 min. That's over $100/hr. But some ECs are charging $50/hr.:roll:
How many of those $16.99 haircuts do they actually do per hour, or per day?

powerslave

480sparky said:
And that right there is the exact same attitude HOs have towards us. $16.99*6=$101.94. But they, just like us, HAVE OVERHEAD!

Do you think WalMart takes their daily income, divides it by the hours they pay their help, and says everyone makes $65/hour?

You didn't get it. This is my exact point. I'm saying take a tip from Fantastic Sams. I'm happy to pay there price. I understand they HAVE OVERHEAD!:smile:

powerslave

LarryFine said:
How many of those $16.99 haircuts do they actually do per hour, or per day?

I couldn't tell you that. Sometimes they're busy when I go in there sometimes they're not. I would hope they figure into they're overhead for non-billable time. I'm also not sure what a barber/hairstylist gets paid.

LLSolutions

There will always be "Ankle Biters" to undercut you, and I know how hard it is making that "Do i price it to make more money or to get the job?" decision but nothing is worse than doing the math at the end of a job and all you did was break even or worse. Remember your time is valuable and nobody starts a company with the intent of breaking even. You may lose some small ones but hopefully the price increase will cover the lost jobs. I think you may be surprised at how many people will still use you.

quogueelectric

hardworkingstiff said:
You know this because you get to see the books?

Do you know if the 'boss' has other investments? Maybe he/she knows how to trade stocks well and makes his wealth there and just runs the EC business out of habit?
Yes he does it out of the goodness of his heart and to keep us working. Yeah Right. Out of habit. Where did he get all that money to invest?? Vegas?

Teaspoon

The ankle biters or low ballers hurt us all.
But if I can't make a profit on a job i don't need that job.
I can go broke sitting at home, and it is a lot easier.
Less expensive too.

ItsHot

broke

broke

Teaspoon said:
The ankle biters or low ballers hurt us all.
But if I can't make a profit on a job i don't need that job.
I can go broke sitting at home, and it is a lot easier.
Less expensive too.
"Better to be broke and rested"!! than "broke and tired"!:smile:

macmikeman

ItsHot said:
"Better to be broke and rested"!! than "broke and tired"!:smile:

Or even worse, "Broke and tired, and now at risk, since any undertaking we do has a certain potential for disaster that only electrical work and skydiving instructors get to experience, even the most careful and experienced of the both. That is the other reason we had better be sure to be making a good profit at what we do, cause insurance and corporate shields be nice and all that, we are in a risky business. Lets make it worth the effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.