Private boathouse wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

clint2000

Hi-
On wiring a large private boathouse with an upstairs heated living room and fire place is it the general wiring articles in the NEC that are required? It seems strange that article 555 is not required because it is a private boathouse. The boathouse is located approximately 25? from the shoreline and will require a remote panel within. I know that it is preferred to wire in accordance with article 555 but have encountered some opposition. Are there any other codes or references to the wiring of private boathouses? FYI there is deck/docking on 3 sides of it. It appears that there will be about 160 outlets (seriously) throughout including luminaries directly over the boat slips, on the outside of the structure, low level dock and deck/dock lighting. Thank you for you comments.

pierre

Re: Private boathouse wiring

"555.1 Scope. This article covers the installation of wiring and equipment in the areas comprising fixed or floating piers, wharfs, docks, and other areas in marinas, boatyards, boat basins, boathouses, yacht clubs, boat condominiums, docking facilities associated with residential condominiums, any multiple docking facility, or similar occupancies,
and facilities that are used, or intended for use, for the purpose of repair, berthing, launching, storage, or fueling of small craft and the moorage of floating buildings.

Private, noncommercial docking facilities constructed or occupied for the use of the owner or residents of the associated single-family dwelling are not covered by this
article."

Have your electrician take a close look at 210.8(A)(8).

All of the receptacles installed at the boathouse will require GFCI protection.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

I can't think of a good reason that you cannot use 555. What is the nature of the "opposition"? Does some person with an interest in this boathouse think it would be too expensive if you used 555?

pierre

Charlie
I do not see it as one cannot use Art 555 for some guidance. Also the poster mentioned something like 160 outlets, I believe some of those outlets are going to be required to follow Art 210 - for dwellings.

clint2000

Hi
Thank you for your input.

Yes the problem is that the builder/owner does not want to use article 555 due to the additional cost and ?limitations? it creates. They don?t have an issue with the GFI protection or the placement and other requirements of article 210. I think the situation arises with 555.2 (2) the Electrical Datum Plane, 555.15 (B) and (C) type of grounding conductor and size of grounding conductor and also 555.15 (E) feeder equipment grounding conductors. Some of the problems are that the docks are to low to the water and interfering with the placement of the walkway lighting since they want them installed inches above the docks/decks. Also I believe the other above mentioned items will create additional wiring costs. I realize that it is not mandatory to comply with article 555 but would be a good idea. I am a not a confrontational person and work well with others as I am not disputing this with the builder. I was just wondering if there were other standards that pertained to this nature of work. Of course the AHJ may have some input but just think it is a shame that all the dock lighting and 1st floor receptacles will flood from the first spring that is wetter then usual. Thanks again.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Some jurisdictions use their own rules, either in addition to or instead of the NEC rules. In Washington State, for example, the notion of "electrical datum plane" has been removed from consideration. Perhaps your local authority can give you some guidance on the rules that apply to your area.

Status
Not open for further replies.