Private Industry Injury Rates

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphgravity

The rate of workplace injuries and illnesses in private industry declined in 2005 for the third consecutive year, the Labor Department's Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reported. Approximately 4.2 million injuries and illnesses occurred in 2005. The number translates to a rate of 4.6 cases per 100 full-time employees, slightly less than the 4.8 rate reported last year. Secretary of Labor Elaine L. Chao said that "the announcement of workplace injuries and illnesses in 2005 were at an all-time low is more good news for America's workers and reflects the department's effective worker health and safety strategy: (1) compliance assistance; (2) health and safety partnerships with labor; and (3) targeted, aggressive enforcement against bad actors."

Here's a link to the full report:

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/osh.pdf

Bryan
Not to belittle your post, but sometimes I wonder how accurate these stats really are. I am sure a few tweaks here or there to help support whatever direction they are trying to head in.

I also wonder how many injuries are actually being reported. I myself know that with the influx of illegal aliens working, that a lot of their injuries are not reported.

I did work in a metal stamping factory for 1 1/2 years and the accidents that I saw go unreported amazed me.

mdshunk

Pierre C Belarge said:
I did work in a metal stamping factory for 1 1/2 years and the accidents that I saw go unreported amazed me.
When I was employed, the 'short term disability' insurance that we were required to buy was far superior to workman's comp. If you got hurt at work, it was better for you to say you got hurt at home somehow. That artifically kept the injuries way down.

bphgravity

Many issues that directly affect our industry are a result of these reports such as insurance costs and medical costs. These reports are also used to substantiate code change and product requirements. This is the reason I research and post these findings.

mthead

The Labor Department as guided by Ms. Chao,a Bush appointee,has steadily eroded many protections which were developed to protect the American Labor force [that includes every one of us posting here] .If you change the rules to say "this is no longer considered an accident or that no longer qualifies as an accident" then of course the reported numbers will decrease..,
But that doesn't mean much to someone who suddenly finds themselves hurt,unable to work,and facing mounting bills anyway.

bphgravity

I too believe certain factors have played a significant role hat do not relate directly to safer working pratices and policies. One would be the extensive exportation of manufacturing jobs to foreign markets and the increase in unreported injuries of illegal immigrants due to fear of deportation.

Who did T.A.edison contact to certify that his new \"electric system\" was safe to operate?[hint;letter was dated 5/6/1881]

New York Board of Fire Underwriters:

ax0409.jpg

mthead

Bryan -to statent #1 of your most recent post I say "Ihear ya" and to part 2[The ans. to my handle] I say " you are correct sir".[And now you know where I speak from}

Status
Not open for further replies.