Problem in residential panelboar

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutierrjg

In very crowd panelboard I placed a double pole 60 amp circuit breaker on space #1/3 , for a tankless water heater, and after running the the system for a while the upper part of the brkers(space#1) body was very hot(not the conductor).I remove it for inspection and noticed that the c/brks in space #2/4 space was burn out in #2 side which is the same phase for space #1.I replaced the 50amp on the right side(2/4) and now seems that everything it's running good except heating problem.
Is it this problem related to aging?or to the power consumption?

mdshunk

The breaker-to-buss connection for most any brand/type of plug-on breaker is a common failure point. What you have observed, regrettably, is pretty typical and if the bus finger is not burned or discolored yet, a new breaker will generally solve the problem. Install a Cutler-Hammer CH panel for permanent corrective action.

frizbeedog

jim dungar said:
Would it be acceptable to install a Square D or Siemens instead?

Yes, I think so. :smile:

Keep in mind that when those busses start to pit from arcing, installing new breakers will work for a while, but the damage is done.

.....and installing a new Square D or Siemens is acceptable. ;)

...or even Cutler-Hammer.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
gutierrjg said:
In very crowd panelboard I placed a double pole 60 amp circuit breaker on space #1/3 . . .

I remove it for inspection and noticed that the c/brks in space #2/4 space was burn out in #2 side which is the same phase for space #1. I replaced the 50amp on the right side(2/4) . . .
You're discovering why it's not a good idea to place high-current breakers head-to-head. I bet the panel label states a maximum-total amperage-per-stab limit.

When making up a panel, my preference is to stack 2-pole breakers down one side of a panel. This avoids the liklihood of overheating stabs, like you're doing now.

gutierrjg

So, do you mean stacking 1-pole in the other side? Is that permissible?
The panel is to old that I couldn't get that info.What you recomend me to do?

gutierrjg said:
So, do you mean stacking 1-pole in the other side? Is that permissible?

And on CH panels it lays out well too.
With the neutral bar being on the right SP/120 breakers
With the grd bar on the left DP/240 breakers

Heloise Hint: ;)
This works even better when the branch circuits start on their respective sides.

quogueelectric

gutierrjg said:
In very crowd panelboard I placed a double pole 60 amp circuit breaker on space #1/3 , for a tankless water heater, and after running the the system for a while the upper part of the brkers(space#1) body was very hot(not the conductor).I remove it for inspection and noticed that the c/brks in space #2/4 space was burn out in #2 side which is the same phase for space #1.I replaced the 50amp on the right side(2/4) and now seems that everything it's running good except heating problem.
Is it this problem related to aging?or to the power consumption?
You could tap a small subpanel next to it to carry the high loads or replace the panel or move the breaker to an undamaged space if there is room. How much do you want to spend?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
BryanMD said:
Heloise Hint: ;)
This works even better when the branch circuits start on their respective sides.
Like this?:
panela1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.