Problems with hydrolic metal shear

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
I don't know, the one where I am working now sheers 3/8" x 12" mild steel.

I used it to make a homemade 4" feeding sheave and a heck of a floor bracket to hold a pulley for a pull.:cool:

mdshunk

Alex electrical student said:
The machine can do multiple things. It has a hole punch, a right angle cutter, a box maker, and a shear.
Yes, it can shear, but that's just not what the tool is called. The tool, called generically as "shear" is a completely different machine. Much like you can do light weight milling with a drill press, but you certainly wouldn't call it a milling machine. Don't be such a hard head.

Shear:
cncl-kx72.jpg

iwire

Staff member
mdshunk said:
Yes, it can shear, but that's just not what the tool is called. The tool, called generically as "shear" is a completely different machine. Much like you can do light weight milling with a drill press, but you certainly wouldn't call it a milling machine. Don't be such a hard head.

Marc, it seems like your being the hard head, :smile: where I am at they call it a shear. If they had a large dedicated sheer maybe they would not.

mdshunk

iwire said:
Marc, it seems like your being the hard head, :smile:
I am a hard head, but just not on this topic. I was just fetched up around industrial machinery, is all. An ironworker is not a shear.

Last edited:

cschmid

Marc you are correct an iron worker is not a shear..As an industrial bum in my younger years an iron worker is one of the shops most valuable tools..Yet it does shear flat steel normally only used on 6 in and less most fabricators own one as it beats a saw and is much faster..But it is known by the term Iron worker by Scotchman the manufacturer..it looks like a 50 ton unit and a very common one..

We all like to help here on this site but if you come and pretend to have a problem after a couple of times the amount of response goes down..If you would like to have some assistance or find something fascinating and want more in depth answers this is a good site..There are some very bright people here with a large vast assortment of knowledge..So use it wisely as most are not into games..

iwire

Staff member
cschmid said:
But it is known by the term Iron worker by Scotchman the manufacturer..

The one I use is not made by 'Scotchman' it is some European unit.

Call it whatever you want, but to call the OP wrong for calling it a sheer is IMO a load.

iwire

Staff member
weressl said:

Yes, I understand that. :roll:

I also have tool that is called drill, a cordless, a screw gun etc.

My only point has been that the machine that Alex posted is also a sheer, to call him 'wrong' ...

mdshunk said:
That's not even a shear! That's a punch press, sometimes called an "ironworker".

.....for calling it is a sheer is being pretty darn picky.

Thats all, 15 posts later, theres 10 minutes I will never get back.

iwire said:
Yes, I understand that. :roll:

I also have tool that is called drill, a cordless, a screw gun etc.

My only point has been that the machine that Alex posted is also a sheer, to call him 'wrong' for calling it is a sheer is being pretty darn picky.

Yep, agree, but you pointing it out is like the kettle.......

mdshunk

I don't know if anyone has mentioned yet that an ironworker is not a shear.

iwire said:
In your circle of friends.
Easy response there. I have no friends. Only the voices in my head.

Last edited:

captaincrab55

We all like to help here on this site but if you come and pretend to have a problem after a couple of times the amount of response goes down..If you would like to have some assistance or find something fascinating and want more in depth answers this is a good site..There are some very bright people here with a large vast assortment of knowledge..So use it wisely as most are not into games..[/QUOTE]cschmid

Well Said cschmid!!!!.... Sounds like the old Wolf Story...

cschmid

iwire said:
Marc, it seems like your being the hard head, :smile: where I am at they call it a shear. If they had a large dedicated sheer maybe they would not.

I will surrender to that one Bob but you know us all on this site we can kind of be like a dog with a bone..sometimes we can be like wolves and fight over the bone..yet in the end we all still continue to post and even look forward to one another's responses..that is why we are all professionals..:grin: :D

Status
Not open for further replies.