Propane Bottles Indoors

Status
Not open for further replies.

AltonTupa

I have customer that wants to build a laboratory and install propane bottles indoors to heat the chemicals at work stations. I have not ever seen propane bottles used indoors. I looked a the code and I believe the bottle area is Class 1 Div 1 and adjacent is Class 1 Div 2. I do not belive the entire room has to be Class 1 Div 2? I am also not sure about the room the bottles are in. Does the room require ventilation and a gas monitoring system?
AltonTupa

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I have not ever seen propane bottles used indoors.
You lead a sheltered life.:smile: Haven't you ever seen gas powered fork lifts?

If your tanks are sealed and there is no open transfer between tanks the area should not be Div 1.

But I have always been in favor of having the local fire marshall, building inspector, and insurance company make the decisions for hazardous areas. After they tell me what it is , then I know how to handle it plus its adjacent areas

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The tanks have pressure relief valves and I believe that the classification rules would require a Class I, Division 1 area around them. I agree with Jim, that the design engineer, the fire marshal or other authority should establish the classification of the area.

jeremysterling

I used to assemble propane and gas powered turbine co-gen skids. Normally, they ran on natural gas and the detectors were mounted high in the skid. However, on the "dual-fuel" models that ran on both gases, additional detectors were mounted around 12" from the deck because propane is heavier than air.

topgone

The tanks have pressure relief valves and I believe that the classification rules would require a Class I, Division 1 area around them. I agree with Jim, that the design engineer, the fire marshal or other authority should establish the classification of the area.

What Jim said.
"If your tanks are sealed and there is no open transfer between tanks the area should not be Div 1.
True. If you feel that requirement by the customer could lead to risks you foresee, explain it to him; electrical sparks could ignite the area if leaks occur, blah blah. . and more.
As long as you have informed the customer of the risks involved, you ensure the bottle area is provided with required isolation from the main lab area, properly ventilated, and installed with monitors for propane gas concentration, IMO, it's good to go.

AltonTupa

Propane Bottles Indoors

Propane Bottles Indoors

I looked up NFPA 58. In Instalaltion Section 3.2.2.1 it states bottles shall be located outdoors? Then section 3.4.5 building housing industrial occupancies says it is OK under certain conditions. I found out the customer is in an existing laboratory that is built the same way the new facility is going to be built. In the existing facility the bottles are used indoors and all the wiring is unclassified. I am still concerned so we are contacting the city planner for their interpretation.
Thanks for all your input.
Alton Tupa

Status
Not open for further replies.