Propane station...out of my league

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricmanscott

I have a customer that needs a propane filling station wired. I have never done anything remotely close to one and don't even know what classification it falls under. The NEC has so many words.:wink:

I am a believer in "specialty" areas of the trade and with that in mind probably don't think this is something you learn on the fly and it would be better left to someone with experience in this area.

Am I thinking correctly or is this easier than I think. The customer did say It should be an easy job and he does own a landscape supply company so he should know an "easy" electrical job right. :smile:

iwire

Staff member
Scott I have never done one either and would be cautious like you.

That said when I have had my gas tank filled the electrical work did not appear to be very involved, a switch, a pump a few EYs, done.

You might take a cruise to a few other filling stations for ideas.

Or you could hire this guy...

HankHill.jpg

Last edited:

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
The basic standard for installation is still Articles 500 and 501. The “classification” standard is probably NFPA 497 in conjunction with NFPA 54 or, possibly, NFPA 58.

Since I don't know the details, I will simply say this, "Propane is one of the nastiest Class I materials to work with as far as determining the classification. However, once properly classified, it’s no worse than any other.”

LawnGuyLandSparky

I get refills at a local dealer, who also delivers and dispatches large tankers for large remote loads. The "filling station" is a glorified garden shed, and it appears to be wired correctly. What kills me is that with all the precautions taken with the permanent wiring system, the outlet has a cash register, a fan, a radio, electronic scale, etc.

None of the explosionproof work is worth a damn IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.