proper location of bonding of service

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Chris, your your understanding of where the EGC begins is correct but the OP's question of where the GEC should connect to is as Augie's code section states.

The thread has drifted away from the original topic.

Roger

I think you may be confusing the EGC with the GEC? The GEC can bond to the grounded conductor anywhere before and up to the service equipment.

Roger
Roger, a minor correction which I think is relevant here: Its up to and including the service disconnecting means not service equipment. An OCPD after the service disconnect is still service equipment, but the GEC cant connect there.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Roger, a minor correction which I think is relevant here: Its up to and including the service disconnecting means not service equipment. An OCPD after the service disconnect is still service equipment, but the GEC cant connect there.
See the definition of Service Equipment in article 100, we can break it down into every item but the definition includes breakers, switches, fuses, so Service Equipment includes the disconnecting means.

Roger

See the definition of Service Equipment in article 100, we can break it down into every item but the definition includes breakers, switches, fuses, so Service Equipment includes the disconnecting means.

Roger
I agree. My point however was that the GEC landing point is up to and including the service disconnect, not service equipment in general. Texie post #2 said to land in OCPD which I dont see how that is compliant (unless we are into the 2020 outside firefighter disco).

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It can land at the weatherhead, the meter base, the unfused disconnect or he main disconnect panel. All of that, IMO is service equipment

It can land at the weatherhead, the meter base, the unfused disconnect or he main disconnect panel. All of that, IMO is service equipment

Apparently no one is listening to what I am saying or looking at the actual wording. 250.24(A)(1) does NOT say "service equipment" it says "...to which the grounded service conductor is connected at the service disconnecting means "

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Apparently no one is listening to what I am saying or looking at the actual wording. 250.24(A)(1) does NOT say "service equipment" it says "...to which the grounded service conductor is connected at the service disconnecting means "
The part you're missing is that the service disconnecting means is part of the service equipment.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Do you agree with this statement (assuming the service disconnect is a disconnect without OCPD)?

"the GEC cannot land anywhere PAST the service disconnect, such as an OCPD enclosure, even though an OCPD enclosure is still "service
equipment".
Yes, which falls inline with the article 100 definition of service equipment which includes "switch(es)"

Roger

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
In my view the transfer switch in this installation is no different that a meter disconnect. Nobody ever claimed a meter disconnect was the service disconnecting means even before the code was changed that said specifically that it was not.

In my view the transfer switch in this installation is no different that a meter disconnect. Nobody ever claimed a meter disconnect was the service disconnecting means even before the code was changed that said specifically that it was not.
But a meter disconnect is listed in 230.82. A transfer switch is not, so it is different. The only way it is permitted is if it is the service disconnect.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
But a meter disconnect is listed in 230.82. A transfer switch is not, so it is different. The only way it is permitted is if it is the service disconnect.
We had meter disconnects for decades and nobody ever claimed they were the service disconnect even before the code recognized them and said they are not service disconnects.

Status
Not open for further replies.