Proper mounting of fixtures to outlet boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

literep

Is there a specific code # that relates to correct mounting of Hanger bar or strap in the code? That it should be mounted East to West and not North to South, so that fixtures do not pull away from wall due to weight, etc.?

thanks

G

Re: Proper mounting of fixtures to outlet boxes

You lost me. But that's not too hard :)

Please post specific details about a specific installation and we can try and help you.

gregoryelectricinc

Do you mean horizontal vs. vertical? If so, there is no code that would require this. If a fixture is that heavy, I would think (that typically gets me in trouble though) that the fixture manufacturer would include specific mounting instructions with their fixture.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by gregoryelectricinc:
Do you mean horizontal vs. vertical?
Cool I could not figure out what the question was.

If it is up and down verses left to right I think you are using the wrong box anyway.

Boxes with 8 x 32s are more of Northeast Southeast mounting.

literep

sorry for the confusion. I was told that if you were to hang a cast aluminum outdoor fixture to a standard 4" electrical box that the strap that the fixture attaches to that also attaches to the box should be facing East -West. Horizontal not vertical. this insures that the fixture strain is spread evenly and this prevents the weight from being only at the top of the fixture pulling it down.

this causes the hanging bar or strap to bend, which in turn causes the fixture to pull from the wall.

is there specific code that addresses this?

gregoryelectricinc

Code:
 (B) Installation and Use. Listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling. 

This is as close as the code comes to answering your question. Still no requirement for horizontal or vertical mounting of fixture strap.
 Refers you manufacturer's instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.