Proper RF Safety

MrSparky

Occupation
Electrician
Folks I'm looking for some help picking an RF safety meter for personnel working around cellular antennas.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this? Not knowing the field I feel naïve when looking at what I should buy to ensure my and my co-workers safety when working around cell antennas transmitting in an indoor facility.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Folks I'm looking for some help picking an RF safety meter for personnel working around cellular antennas.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this? Not knowing the field I feel naïve when looking at what I should buy to ensure my and my co-workers safety when working around cell antennas transmitting in an indoor facility.

JMNSHO.

It seems to me that knowing the safety requirements for working around cell towers is a lot more than just buying another toy. If you don't fully understand what those requirements are, it is probably best if you leave it to someone who actually does know.

MrSparky

Occupation
Electrician
With all due respect Bob, I am trying to get verifying information from people that may know. The "industry professionals" at Verizon tell me it's safe to work around and provided a field study that does not include the distances that we are working from the antennas. Our employer seems satisfied with that and will do nothing further so I am trying to figure out the best way to go about this. Starting with a personnel meter for safety. This is not a toy as you say and we take our health very seriously.

Verizons answer is to email them when we need the antennas turned off. They do not answer emails in a timely manner and although they say they are turned off, I would like our personnel to have the assurance of having dosimeters to prove they are not transmitting.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Doesn't OSHA have some requirement for signage on RF transmitters? I know where I worked, people were afraid of all antennas and were always bugging me. 95% of them were receivers, and we did not label those. We had only two transmitters that were a possible hazard so I put up signage for that one with plastic poles and plastic chain at the standoff distance. Next, someone wanted some sort of light on when it was transmitting, but we never got that far.

I think a meter would be a good thing to have, as mistakes could easily be made in calculations and no one ever double checked them (was hard enough to find one person capable of calculating it and knowing the antenna gain, finding two would have been even harder).

MrSparky

Occupation
Electrician
Calculations aren't enough. We are working right underneath or next to antennas that normally broadcast down 100' from the ceiling. We need assurances that we are not getting cooked while working on lights near by.

My quandary is, and I have been looking at the Narda brand meters, is the dosimeter style enough or do I need one that gives me values? They are expensive and I am looking for any industry input I can get before shelling out the high dollars for something that wasn't the best idea.

I have also reached out to OSHA for feedback and possibly training but am working on multiple fronts to make an informed decision before I buy the right "toy", as Bob suggested I was doing.

I would bet far too ma any of us have put ourselves in harms way of RF without even being aware as we are trained just to get the job done.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Many cell repeaters used inside buildings aren't all that strong -- about the same as your cell phone or maybe double the power. A directional antenna could make it more intense. Inverse square law helps too, so don't touch the antenna if you can help it. Part of the problem with signal level as a hazard is some people think a cell phone next to their head is too much RF. Going by the accepted standards is a good starting point. But even if some engineer tells you its harmless, I think those RF monitoring devices give a lot of people peace of mind and provide a good double check for hazards.

MrSparky

Occupation
Electrician
I've been given that line about them not being that strong... we have 3G and 5G directional antennas that are hung 100' in the air above their target audience and we are working right in front of them doing light maintenance on a 150' lift. This is certainly a little more serious than a cell phone to the ear. And you're right, the engineers from Verizon all try to downplay our concerns. This topic is a whole new field to me and I don't want to have to go back to school to understand it. I'm trying to find experienced industry professionals to give me safety guidelines without me having to understand X,Y,Z axis waves and all the calculations or variables associated with the discipline. Thanks for the feedback so far, I'd bet money someone on here has had a similar work experience to share some good knowledge or precautions. May need to invest in some lead lined Carhartts! ;)

We are working right underneath or next to antennas that normally broadcast down 100' from the ceiling. We need assurances that we are not getting cooked while working on lights near by.
OK, you are not :LOL: .

First, if the antenna is directional at all it's aiming to the users below, not to the lights next to it. Second, as mentioned above, the cell systems made for use inside of buildings assume that the antennas will aim at people, so the RF strength is much lower than that of a tower (the couple I checked had a max output power of 1w).

About the only time I would be concerned is if I was spending hours directly in front of a directional antenna.

MrSparky

Occupation
Electrician
OK, you are not :LOL: .

First, if the antenna is directional at all it's aiming to the users below, not to the lights next to it. Second, as mentioned above, the cell systems made for use inside of buildings assume that the antennas will aim at people, so the RF strength is much lower than that of a tower (the couple I checked had a max output power of 1w).

About the only time I would be concerned is if I was spending hours directly in front of a directional antenna.
Uh... That's what I said, right underneath... 1 foot in front of antennas that broadcast 100' away.

Verizon agrees it's an issue and is shutting them down remotely. I want testing devices that show that they are truly shut off enough to work in close proximity. People make mistakes, labels get confused, there's no way to tell you're getting cooked if one gets left on.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Just out of curiosity who is going to train you and your people on the use of whatever you might buy and what the indications they may give you actually mean.

It seems to me that the company you work for has the primary responsibility to insure their employees are properly trained.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
If you feel uncomfortable doing a project, let your supervisor know. Then document your concerns. Sometimes it better not to do the project if the company you are working for, doesn't address your concerns. We only have one life to give !