Proper way to retorque a connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Don,

I follow your logic and it is clear how you get to the conclusion. However I think that there may be some clarification needed in terms of physics. Lubrication aids the friction resistance that results in less torque need WHILE the thread is in motion that disappears when the stationary position is reached, eg. when the torque setting 'clicks off' and results in the remaining pure static pressure. So while moving the bolt you are working against friction resistance and modulus created static pressure AFTER the two surfaces come in contact and at the resting point only the static pressure remains.

I believe I understand the point you are attempting to make. However, the developed static pressure is a result of thread advancement, not the actual torqued value. If I understand your statement correctly, thread advancement would be identical with or without lubricant on the threads when torqued to a specific value. I'm afraid I cannot agree and side with Don on this one.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Laszlo,
This chart shows a substantial change in the torque for dry v highly lubricated bolts. I assume that the the bolt does not start to "stretch" or be placed into tension until there is physical contact between the two parts being bolted together. While not exactly the same as the lug application where the set screw is placed in compression and the body of the lug is placed in tension, I would think that the physics is really the same and that a lubricated set screw will result in a much higher compression force on the conductor at the same torque value than a "dry" set screw.

Status
Not open for further replies.