Proper way to wire a fluorecent fixture mounted over an outlet box

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimport

Occupation
Master Electrician
Maybe the problem is the interpretation of independent is the root of the contention? Some in one of the threads has said that additional anchors like toggle bolts can be used so the fixture is supported independently of the JB screws and this would affect the wiring.

Independent can mean "not dependent on", ie I am living independent of my parents, or stated another way "I am not dependent on my parents". Using this defintion I will substitute not dependent for independent.

(A) Not dependent of the Outlet Box. Electric-discharge luminaires
(lighting fixtures) supported Not dependently of the
outlet box shall be connected to the branch circuit through
metal raceway, nonmetallic raceway, Type MC cable, Type
AC cable, Type MI cable, nonmetallic sheathed.....

To me, that means a fixture wiring not utilizing a junction box. Same as is commonly done, just worded slightly differently.

Maybe the problem is the interpretation of independent is the root of the contention? Some in one of the threads has said that additional anchors like toggle bolts can be used so the fixture is supported independently of the JB screws and this would affect the wiring.
To me, that means a fixture wiring not utilizing a junction box. Same as is commonly done, just worded slightly differently.

I not sure what you mean, are you saying that your understanding of "supported not depending on the JB" is " not utilizing a junction box" all? (if so what about the word supported?)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I doubt you will find anyone that will fail you because of this install. Lets ask MikeHolt, maybe he can help::D
I am not saying that any one would fail based on this. I just said that the code language does not support what is obviously the intent of the code rule.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Permissive code as we always say. I see nothing that says we must comply with both and as they apply to different types of installations why would we have to?
The way it is currently written, both sections apply unless you use the covered box as part of the fixture support. Yes, I understand that the intent is to use either (A) or (B), but as in many cases in the NEC, the actual code language does not support the intent of the rule.

jimport

Occupation
Master Electrician
I not sure what you mean, are you saying that your understanding of "supported not depending on the JB" is " not utilizing a junction box" all? (if so what about the word supported?)

This has been my view in both forums, (A) is dealing with a fixture that is wired using the internal wiring compartment. To paraphrase "a fixture wired not dependent on a junction box".

You need to read the whole article as written, not just in a start and stop way. I am sure an English teacher could go thru the various parts of speech and how one part modifies the other. but I can't give you the breakdown.

Just try to substitute the word "without" for the word "independent".

This has been my view in both forums, (A) is dealing with a fixture that is wired using the internal wiring compartment. To paraphrase "a fixture wired not dependent on a junction box".

You need to read the whole article as written, not just in a start and stop way. I am sure an English teacher could go thru the various parts of speech and how one part modifies the other. but I can't give you the breakdown.

Just try to substitute the word "without" for the word "independent".

I do agree with you one hundred percent that that is the correct intent of the code, however, like Don just said, I just can't get that into the wording.
As to the English teacher there is no reason to resort to threats.:)

norcal

Is this in your opinion(s) compliant?

IM000383.jpg

The wrap is mounted over a 4 sq box & ring, bushing is 2".

Probably fine, 2" sounds sufficient to provide access to the box, but maybe an AHJ would want somthing a little bigger.
Btw I'm just thinking wouldn't it be nice if the manufacturer would provide the big bushing needed for their big knockout?

Last edited:

walton

Use a Chase nipple or plastic grommet big enough for access to the box and you have met the NEC requirements. If the fixture KO is not big enough use a KO set to install a 3 inch KO in the fixture. In this county the fixture KO must be insulated if installed over a jbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.