Proposals to WA state electrical code for 2023 NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
WA is accepting proposals for changes to the state electrical code to adopt the 2023 NEC
We are about one year later than normal, which is better for finding out issues
Any comments on what issues should be addressed?

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I don't know how Oregon and Washington's amendments compare, but Oregon has some good ones regarding GFCI's and AFCI's.

Some form of exemption for small PV systems from 690.12, like 5kVA or less, that would lower the cost of entry level solar.

I see no reason not to use 277 for hotel and motel lighting if there is already 480Y/277 in the building.
Also no harm with residential using 240V appliances under 1440W, it might even be safer if they made those space heaters people love to use in a 240V option.
So I think 210.6 (A) and (B) are based on a prehistoric notion of electrical safety and due for a makeover, now that almost everything is AFCI and or GFCI + tamper proof there is no reason to have a voltage limit of 120.
You'd have to hit several parts of the code though.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
I feel like there are certain things that now have a general consensus of what should be adjusted apart from the controversial ones.
I don't know how Oregon and Washington's amendments compare, but Oregon has some good ones regarding GFCI's and AFCI's.

Some form of exemption for small PV systems from 690.12, like 5kVA or less, that would lower the cost of entry level solar.

I see no reason not to use 277 for hotel and motel lighting if there is already 480Y/277 in the building.
Also no harm with residential using 240V appliances under 1440W, it might even be safer if they made those space heaters people love to use in a 240V option.
So I think 210.6 (A) and (B) are based on a prehistoric notion of electrical safety and due for a makeover, now that almost everything is AFCI and or GFCI + tamper proof there is no reason to have a voltage limit of 120.
You'd have to hit several parts of the code though.
I like the amendments oregon has for when a dedicated appliance nuisance trips afcis there's options unlike WA which is rigid straight to the code as is.

Status
Not open for further replies.