proposed changes to 210.8, 210.8(B), 110.13,

Status
Not open for further replies.

necbuff

I proposed the following 2008 changes:

1) 110.13 text addition- Equipment located outdoors shall be mounted not less than 24" above grade.

It is becoming practice of mounting equipment, mainly A/C disconnects, very low to the ground. This creates a problem during snow and rains, not to mention in some cases physical damage.

2) 210.8 text addition- GFCI devices shall be readily accessible.

This would eliminate GFCI devices from being located behind objects not easily moved such as refrigerators, freezers, under tubs etc. When these devices trip they are hard to find and sometimes impossible to reset.

3) 210.8(B) reorganization- Compile and incorporate ALL GFCI requirments for other than dwellings into 210.8(B) in order to avoid confusion and possible omission of a particular requirement. Now it would lead some to believe only those now listed are required. All articles requiring GFCI protection should be at least noted in 210.8(B)

physis

Re: proposed changes to 210.8, 210.8(B), 110.13,

I think I agree with item 1.

Item 2. It would be nice if we could always get to them easily. People are going to pile stuff in front of them no matter what the NEC says. What you would be moving toward is using GFCI breakers and disallowing GFCI receptacles in some cases. There are pros and cons to that notion.

charlie

Kenny, item 1 needs to worded differently. Equipment applies to a lot of things and I wouldn't want my submerged water pump to be required to be mounted 2 ft above grade.

Item 2 is not enforceable unless Joe Homeowner has moved in and everything is in place when you inspect.

Item 3 has merit but you will have to do the work of listing each location as a separate proposal for the rewording to make it happen. There will be several different panels involved and they will have to have their work correlated with panel 2 (that is why we have a TCC). :D

necbuff

Thanks Charlie, I was not exactly sure how I needed do that. I was afraid of something like that. I will mull it over and make an amendment. At least my intentions are known. I will accept and appreciate any suggestions you (or anyone)may have.

[ April 04, 2005, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: necbuff ]

physis

Oops. I didn't pay much attention when I was reading item 1 I think. I was thinking of panels or disconnects. Charlie's right.

Addressing specific issues is easier than taking on the whole NEC at once.

Like I keep feeling an urge to do. :D

[ April 04, 2005, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

#1 has a similar rule in Art 550, so it may have a chance.

#2 not much chance IMO, and could always use a GFCI circuit breaker.

#3 certainly worth a try. Its almost easier to say where not then where. How about a table?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Item 1: I'd like to be able to keep my outdoor 3R junction box low to the ground, less of an eyesore. Straight j-boxes should be immune from that kind of rule. A/C Disco's, maybe. But there's times when I have to mount one lower than I'd prefer (windows, ledges, etc.)

Food for thought. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.