Proposition 65- Cords

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Bought a create of new SJTW cords that have "proposition 65- this product is known to the state of California to cause cancer"

What is cancer causing? Is it lead? How much leaches out when handling these cords?

And where can I get ROHS cords?

mayanees

Occupation
Electrical Engineer and Master Electrician
Bought a create of new SJTW cords that have "proposition 65- this product is known to the state of California to cause cancer"

What is cancer causing? Is it lead? How much leaches out when handling these cords?

And where can I get ROHS cords?

Cancer schmancer :)

It's like the occasional Zantac I take for stomach relief, ranitidine, is now cautioned to contain low levels of contaminants that could cause cancer....

So I got to thinking about that SJTW cable and I looked it up, and yup, there are warnings.

Then I remembered that I carry around a splitter for presentations where I might need it. I inspected the cable and find it's an STW insulation which removes the J or 'Junior" designation. Whhew, I'm safe. But then I googled STW insulation cancer, and I'm not safe at all! dammmmm!

So tonight I'll fire up a cigar and sip my whiskey and sprite and rejoice that at 60 years old I haven't caught anything yet!

Peace and run :)

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Cancer schmancer :)

It's like the occasional Zantac I take for stomach relief, ranitidine, is now cautioned to contain low levels of contaminants that could cause cancer....

So I got to thinking about that SJTW cable and I looked it up, and yup, there are warnings.

Then I remembered that I carry around a splitter for presentations where I might need it. I inspected the cable and find it's an STW insulation which removes the J or 'Junior" designation. Whhew, I'm safe. But then I googled STW insulation cancer, and I'm not safe at all! dammmmm!

So tonight I'll fire up a cigar and sip my whiskey and sprite and rejoice that at 60 years old I haven't caught anything yet!

Peace and run :)

But doesn't the cord have lead? How is SJTW better than STW? :?:dunce:

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I bought something recently that had the same warning. I can't remember exactly what I bought, but I remember thinking it was basically a piece of molded metal. Steel or iron or something like that. (Edit: Now that I think about it some more, I think they were steel plates for a barbell or dumbell set.)

How does a piece of steel cause cancer? My guess is that it doesn't, and that some companies are just being overly cautious with these warnings because they don't want to get sued.

So a law that was meant to do something good (warn people when a product they are using might be dangerous) has the exact opposite effect. Since everything and anything has the exact same warning, you never know when you really need to worry, or when to limit your exposure.

kwired

Electron manager
I bought something recently that had the same warning. I can't remember exactly what I bought, but I remember thinking it was basically a piece of molded metal. Steel or iron or something like that. (Edit: Now that I think about it some more, I think they were steel plates for a barbell or dumbell set.)

How does a piece of steel cause cancer? My guess is that it doesn't, and that some companies are just being overly cautious with these warnings because they don't want to get sued.

So a law that was meant to do something good (warn people when a product they are using might be dangerous) has the exact opposite effect. Since everything and anything has the exact same warning, you never know when you really need to worry, or when to limit your exposure.
It might also mean there could be low levels of lead but testing hasn't been done to confirm if there is any or not. Warning label is CYA even if the warned condition isn't present.

It's probably because of one of the plastisizers in the jacket. (The Prop 65 warnings are pretty much irrelevant now, so many things, and places, have them. Unfortunately, it's a state Proposition, not a statute, so it requires a direct vote to get rid of it.)

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
It's probably because of one of the plastisizers in the jacket. (The Prop 65 warnings are pretty much irrelevant now, so many things, and places, have them. Unfortunately, it's a state Proposition, not a statute, so it requires a direct vote to get rid of it.)

Do they contain lead? Honestly I only fear heavy metals. Dimethyl acetylenedicarboxylate actelen prophelanol hydrochlorafen trimephenalol XYZ ABC is good enough for me.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
lots of things cause cancer in amounts that the average person is never exposed to. The problem with prop 65 is that it does not consider the amount of exposure. This has led to most people realizing that the warnings are meaningless.In any case, science cannot even really agree on whether a lot of these substances actually do cause cancer. Most of the research is more suggestive than conclusive,

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Look at the warning signs on most buildings in California. Best to not go inside.

There should be warnings on all the signs where you enter California.

"CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Crossing this border has been shown by the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders."

-Hal

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
There should be warnings on all the signs where you enter California.

"CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Crossing this border has been shown by the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders."

-Hal

:roll::roll: Is it really that bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.