Protection of exposed wires on open studs

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkync

Yes, I've read that. I guess I'm looking for a place that says that when NM or NMC is run horizontal through studs and exposed that a running board has to be nailed over the wires to keep a person from hanging stuff on the wires, and that when run vertical on the exposed stud that protection up to 4ft. up must be provided such as sleeving it with pvc, etc. Is this just a "dream" or has it been in the code before. Maybe it's just a requirement my inspectors down through the years in my area has wanted. Somehow it "sticks" in my mind and I'm getting ready to quote a job that may need that to be done if required by code. Like I said in previous post, I like to do it "right" the first time. It cost me time and money to have to go back. Thanks again

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
334.15(A) is what you're looking for and is what the inspectors here go by. You are to "closely follow" the surface of the building. That means you run up/down the studs and not between them. That solves the "hanging things from" the cable problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.