Protection of SOOW Power Cord for Zoeller Dewatering Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou N

Occupation
Handyman
All,

I'm installing a dewatering pump in a low spot on out property. It's a 240V, 20A, Single Phase Pump, and I was planning on powering it with 12/2 UF cable and a 20A GFCI breaker in my sub panel.

The pump will be housedin a pit and plumbed with 2" PVC , so basically semi permanent. It came with TF Flextreme power cord SOOW and marked as sun and water resistant.

I plan to bring the 12/2 through a short section of 3/4" conduit at the pump site and either install a 20A outlet in a weatherproof box or cut off the plug and hard-wire it to the UF cable in the box. The junction box will be about 3' off the ground to prevent any contact with the water should it get too high(when it floods it happens fast).

I appears that putting SOOW in conduit is a code violation, would that also be true for a short run say 3'? I don't think the pump can be rewired with individual conductors, so I'm wondering how to protect the power cord from any physical damage as it exits the sump and runs to the outlet/junction box?

The pump is a Zoeller 288 Dewatering unit and their instructions show a connection to an outlet, no cord protection.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lou

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You cannot cut the male end off the cord of the pump so just add a gfci receptacle and be done. Some areas have an amendment to forego the gfci on these pumps but code requires it in most cases.

The cord is fine to run without the protection just like any other appliance ot piece of equipment with a cord and lug.

I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

If I have misjudged the situation, if for example this project is related to your work, then send me a Private Message. If you can show me that I am wrong, and that you are a licensed electrician (or at least a licensed apprentice), then I will reopen your post, and offer an apology for the delay and inconvenience.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report-40b.png
button at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.