PTAC units tamper resistant

Occupation
Electrician
Would a single 120v 20a receptacle that sole purpose is supplying power to a PTAC unit in a guest room of a motel need to be a tamper resistant recaptacle?

Sent from my SM-A037U using Tapatalk

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
406.12 requires TR receptacle but not if:
Exception to (1) through (10):
Receptacles in the following locations shall not be required to be tamper resistant:
  • (1) Receptacles located more than 1.7 m (5 1⁄2 ft) above the floor
  • (2) Receptacles that are part of a luminaire or appliance
  • (3) Where the receptacle outlet is installed within the space occupied by or designated for each appliance that, in normal use, is not easily moved from one place to another and is cord-and-plug-connected in accordance with 400.10(A)(6), (A)(7), or (A)(8) the following are permitted:
    • a. A single receptacle that is not readily accessible and supplies one appliance
    • b. A duplex receptacle that is not readily accessible and supplies two appliances
  • (4) Nongrounding receptacles used for replacements as permitted in 406.4(D)(2)(a)

James L

Occupation
Electrician
What would be defined as a receptacle that is part of an appliance?

Sent from my SM-A037U using Tapatalk
Luminaire or appliance.

Such as a porcelain lampholder, shop light, under cabinet light, etc which have a built-in receptacle.

I saw a smart refrigerator (circa 2002-ish) which had a built-in receptacle in the back for select accessories to plug in. It wasn't being used, so I don't know what kind of accessories it would support. But that's an example