PTs not energizing

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
We’ve got an ABB 15kV nominal non arc resistant SWGR with PTs (240V on the secondary) that feed a battery charger. For some reason there is no voltage reaching PTs line side at 13.8kV. Does anyone know if there’s an interlock or permissive somewhere in the controls that prevents this XFMR from energizing? I could not find anything in the users manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
We’ve got an ABB 15kV nominal non arc resistant SWGR with PTs (240V on the secondary) that feed a battery charger. For some reason there is no voltage reaching PTs line side at 13.8kV. Does anyone know if there’s an interlock or permissive somewhere in the controls that prevents this XFMR from energizing? I could not find anything in the users manual.

Are you using the Potential Transformers to feed external loads instead of just instrumentation and switchgear power?
I think I may have seen some control schemes that prevented external loading from being applied prior to the switchgear controls. But this was done on the secondary voltage.

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Why would this make a difference?

It's just that at one time, at a plant I used to work at, we were investigating just how you measure voltage that high with a contact tester. This was for locking out and tagging out. The solution was you don't. You use a non-contact tester, get dressed up, and install grounds.

So I am wondering how you tested for 15kv.