Puck Lites

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrrusty

It is my understanding that any low volt cable for lites needs to be exposed; so if I run the cable inside the cabinet up to the attic and install a transformer in the attic that is accessible would this meet code? The cable would run up into the soffit to get into the attic space; I belive this would meet 411.4 (2002) Any thoughts/ suggestions?

hurk27

Re: Puck Lites

Nope as the NEC is very spasific on that it can not be run through the fininhed surface at all.
and putting the transformers in the attic would be a bad choice because of the heat they would prematurely fail.

Read the NEC 411.4

rrrusty

Thank you; The customer would like some puck lites installed on the underside of the cabinets and putting the transformer on an outlet at the countertop level is unappealing; So my thought was to maybe run some ENT(If I HAD to) from the top of the cabinet up to the attic space and install the transformer above the insulation; With this location do you still feel the heat would cause the transformer to fail?

hurk27

Why not just cut in a receptacle in the cabnet or above it in a out of sight place and plug the transformer in there. the roof side of the attic insulation will be the hottest in the summer unless the attic is very well ventalated like a power vent or white shingles. remember some of these newer transformers are electronic and can be damage by heat.

[ May 25, 2003, 02:08 AM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

rrrusty

Thank you for the input; I was toying with that same idea but I think(?)that the cable for the light canot pass thru any combustible material; Another idea I had for a remote transformer was to locate a 4sq near the x-fmr and run mc thru the cabinet and put a shallow box on the under side of the cabinet and run the cable from the fixture to the box under the cabinet and I belive this install would be code compliant, How does it sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.