Pull Box Accessibility

bodiechance

Occupation
MEP Superintendant
Team, I am currently on a large-scale project in a Brooklyn Hospital. We are installing completely new electrical services throughout the facility while the hospital is operational- 16KA in total. I am the senior superintendent on the project, and I am a licensed electrical contractor. The EC is installing new large pull/splice boxes throughout the facility. Most of these boxes are 480v @ 2000amp. Question there are no splices in the boxes, they are only installed to keep conduit runs to 270 degrees and no more as per designer. I'm being told some may indeed have crimp splices and cold shrinks. Seeing that these boxes are large in nature and are NOT equipment, do they need readily accessibility provided to them? The engineer has still not decided on if he will require FLIR scanning of the crimps as part of the 2/yr. inspections. This is going back and forth between the EC and Engineer. Thoughts?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Readily accessible, no. They are required to be accessible even if they do not contain splices.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
FYI: 300.15
Wiring Methods with Interior Access. A box or conduit
body shall not be required for each splice, junction, switch,
pull, termination, or outlet points in wiring methods with
removable covers, such as wireways, multioutlet assemblies,
auxiliary gutters, and surface raceways. The covers shall be
accessible after installation.