PUll box class 1 div 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
for those that install gas dispensers or anyone familiar with fuel dispensers . The dispenser has a ExProof factory J box with an intermal terminal block where you terminate the wiring needed for dispenser operation. I know you need a seal off before the EP factory J box. If I install a conduit from EP factory J box into the dispenser cabinet, basically the area where the card readers and electronics are stored, do I need to install a seal off leaving the EP factory J box and into the dispenser cabinet.? Or will that 1 seal off before the factory Jbox sufficient ?

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
The enclosure mentioned is factory Exproof enclosure. We have seal off with in 18in of enclosure. The enclosure contains no apparatous per 501.15A11. We will need another conduit for factory j box to lead into the above portion of dispenser cabinet. Per 501.15 2(3) I need seal off every 18in but I am not sure if the enclosure qualifies as enclosure containing apparatous so I am not sure if I need one leading into dispenser cabinet. I guess if I am leaving the class 1 div 1 location I would need one??? If so no problem. I just want to follow code.

oldsparky52

Before I quit, the dispensers were coming with no junction box. The instructions from the manufacturer were to install the conduit to the wiring cabinet that is about 4' up on the dispenser.

So, we needed a sealoff as the 1st fitting entering the sump, then the manufacturer called for (in their instructions) the conduit to be packed and sealed when it entered the enclosure at 4'.

1612523514998.png

oldsparky52

I did not like the idea that I had to pull wires from the building to 4' level in the dispenser.

So, what I used to do is to install the conduit away from the opening in the 4' barrier so I could put X-proof capped 90 ells back to back so I could pull the wire to under the dispenser then route them up to the 4' barrier.

I really don't know if it was worth the extra money or not, but that is what I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.