Pulling 3 2/0 and one # 6 through 2 inch

Status
Not open for further replies.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
IDK either. I assume he is at the mercy of some job specs though. He could use a reduced neutral, if it's not in the specs and that would help a little.
200A is prolly a minimum spec. Most sites use way less, it depends on the size of the of the shelter. That's no big deal. The thing that is irritating is 99% of the gear uses batteries and the rectifiers are straight 240V so even if the overall load is 100A or more the only 120V loads are the lights and some convenience receptacles, less the 5A I bet, yet everyone specs a full size neutral. 🤬🤬😡😡🤬🤬

200A is prolly a minimum spec. Most sites use way less, it depends on the size of the of the shelter. That's no big deal. The thing that is irritating is 99% of the gear uses batteries and the rectifiers are straight 240V so even if the overall load is 100A or more the only 120V loads are the lights and some convenience receptacles, less the 5A I bet, yet everyone specs a full size neutral. 🤬🤬😡😡🤬🤬
Engineers love:
1. Copper over AL
2. Full size neutrals
3. Wire egc's
4. Going overboard with voltage drop

I did do two cell sites in the mid 2000's. I remember it was 600MCM copper three phase, not particularly far. I don't remember actual service size.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I've got two different threaded LB's in front of me right now. One says (3) 2/0 max, the other days (3) 4/0 max. They are essentially the same size. The 4/0 one is an Appleton malleable iron with thicker walls, but it has rollers on each side.
The roller type will usually allow slightly larger conductors than the standard LB's.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
We retrofitted 40-50 of them years ago, they went from 24 volt equipment to 48 volt. All were 100 amp single phase panels. Seems like they called for 4-30 amp 240 volt twist locks. They were pretty neglected, all the batteries had been shot for quite a while. Put in all new equipment.

Jon456

I don't want to fight getting this wire through these condulets.

A word of advice...

When pulling large conductors through LB's, they can only be pulled in one direction: the wire must enter the side and exit the back. Trying to go the wrong way will be extremely difficult and will very likely damage the insulation.

LB Wire Direction.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.