pulsing lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

spyder

Went on a service call for intermitent flickering lights today at a large residence. My first thought was loose neutral or connection. All connections checkout okay.

Of course the power quality showed not signs of trouble until I was ready to leave and the lights began to evenly pulse (not really what I would call flicker for about 30 seconds).

The house is feed underground from a pad mount vault type transfromer. This transformer feeds no other houses. My feeling is the problem lies with the transformer.

Has anyone ever encountered a similar problem or pulsing lights (not flickering or brown out)?

bphgravity

Re: pulsing lights

This sounds like it may possibly be a voltage drop issue from a large load like a compressor that is failing or having a hard time starting. Turn off all loads except for lighting and turn on one appliance at a time. You may be able to narrow it down to one circuit or one particular peice of equipment that is effecting house power quality. Just a couple ideas that may help? :confused:

spyder

I heard mention of them having problems with one of the well pumps. I never considered that it may effect the house voltage. Thanks for the help.

spyder

From the poco:

Set our voltage recorder at the transfromer from 4/22/03 at 13:45 to 4/28/03 at 11:20.
There were several instances where the voltage went up to 125.9 volts for durations ranging from one to ten cycles.
There was one drop in voltage on 4/27/03 at 07:22 for one cycle when the voltage dipped to 110.9 volts.

Anyone have any thoughts? The source voltage was reported to be very stable, thus ruling out a bad transformer.

bennie

Esteemed Member

The high voltage appears to be from load dumping.

The voltage sag appears to be a fault on the primary side such as an insulator flashover.

These events would be hard to detect by visual observation.

bennie

Esteemed Member

An overvoltage on the secondary, with an increase in current, is caused by load shedding on the primary.

An overvoltage on the secondary, with a decrease in current, is caused by load shedding on the secondary.

[ April 29, 2003, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: bennie ]

Status
Not open for further replies.